Abu Garcia 6500C3?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfishboy1995, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Hey Guys, I am looking for a new reel and i think i found one that i like in my price range...i want to pair it up with a quantum big cat rod...the reel is a Abu Garcia 6500C3 i am wondering if this is a good setup for the flatheads and blues?, and if it is made in sweden or not? i think the rod willl be fine im mostly concerned about he reel but if the rod is no good please let me know...

Thanks in advance!!

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    those are good reels and yes they are sweed made and yes they will handle a flat or a blue good luck and i know you will engoy that reel

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can't go wrong with a 6500. If you start catching big fish and start thinking that you need something bigger, go up to the 7000i.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The Abu 6500C3 is a great choice of reel. However kinda small if the rod is the 7'6 Heavy Action Quantum Big Cat. In case then I'd recommend moving up to the 7000 series Abu or a Penn 320GT2. If its the M/H Quantum then it would be hard, almost impossible to beat the 6500C3

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good info given,,here... I could see several in your future!!!:smile2:

6. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yea Greg, I think there are a couple 6500C3's in my future and a 7000i or 2 alos..Thanks guys!!!

7. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH A 6500. BUT BE CARFULL I STRARTED OUT GOING TO BUY A COUPLE ENDED UP WITH 13:crazy:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the 6500 are excellent reels, although i wish i had bought the 7000 to start because i want more line capacity.... so if you are thinking about getting a 7000 down the road i would spend the little bit extra and start with what you want. thats better than buying a few 6500's then replacing them with 7000's and not using the 6500's again. JMO

9. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    yea i found a 7000i on ebay for $110 buy it now made in sweden and i am getting that one..hre in just a few minutes!!

10. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the 6500 is a exellent reel I know I have landed a 58lb flat with mine so I know they hold up

11. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Check ffo-tackle it is a website that you can get the 6500 c3 mag for $103 with $7 shipping or the 6500 inshore reel for $79.11 with $7 shipping. These prices are using the promo code holidays at the checkout. I have ordered from them for about 4 years and never had a problem.

12. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i ordered a 7000i so thats out of the way...now im just lookin into rods and am not sure of a good rod for less than $70 any ideas??

Thanks!!!

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    TWC from this site would probably be good. If you were here you could get a James River Rod for $60, 7ft or 8ft heavy action and can reel in a Great White with it.

14. catmstr

catmstr Member

State:
    nc
    a good reel. i have 9,also7,7000,s and 7pen 209,s

15. rainman442000

rainman442000 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have 8 6500cl big game black cat blue cat and older models have landed a lot of 20 two 45 lb cats on them they all still work like new you cant go wrong with any of them

16. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've got to say I think those 6500c3 would handle most anything. I love mine.​

17. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    that reel would look good on an 7ft. 1 piece catfish ugly stik. :big_smile::cool2:

18. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    6500C, C3 & C4 are great reels. I have an older 6500C that Ive used for a at least 15 years and maybe longer without a problem, never had the covers off it. C3 & C4 have used about 7-8 years without a prob. My personal choice is the C.

19. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    good reels, but personally i think there overpriced(i know its coming). for the cost there should be no plastic gears(check on the net and youll see the gear that drives the level wind is plastic, and will wear out). to me there like nikes etc, alot of what you pay is for the name abu. dont get me wrong there good reels but i'll bet ya i can take my 65$ penn and rip the gears out of the abu 6500c3(its a matter of gearing, ever seen the main drivegear in a penn?). personally i dont have 150$ to spend on each setup, for 100$ i can get a okuma or penn reel and a decent rod. jmo

20. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i have used 6500c3 for years never had one tear up,and believe me i put one threw its paces. for my money the best reel :big_smile: