Abu Garcia 6500c3 are they strong enough to bring in even the biggest flatheads?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by J.P.M., Jun 26, 2006.

1. J.P.M.

J.P.M. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    How tough are the Abu Garcia 6500c3's;are they tough enough to bring in the big flatheads?

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah i wouldnt see why not, im sure people have cought big fish with lesser built reels

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    JPM,

I have used 6500 most of my fishing life, they are well built and will hold up to any fish..............Doc

4. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Absolutely. They are more than enough reel. You can make them even better by putting a power handle on them.

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Tim and John. They will absolutely hold up........steve

6. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I also have 28 of them ,, I like-em......

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I brought in a 50-lb flathead with a 6500C3

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I just got my 6500C3, and haven't caught anything big on it yet. But, I am very happy with the reel, and plan on buying more!

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    a 6500c3 will out pull my powerstroke lol im kidding. but ive borught in many hawgs on them. biggest in 90's. you cant beat these reels or go wrong with them.

10. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    Yeah I would say they are more than enough. The guy that just broke the Georgia state record flathead at 83 lbs was using a Abu Garcia 6000. So It can handle at least that if not more.

11. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i caught a 51 pound blue on it.

12. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i think you can catch the biggest flatheads off of any catfishing reel, personally i think its all depending on your drag and if it is set perfectly for fighting that big of fish. but i def. beleive you can drag in some giant kitties with a 6500 abu.

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    i dont know about flatheads or 6500 but my 6000 held up to a 26lb channel cat last night wow I have never had more of a fight than that I released him to fight another day.

14. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    The rod helps alot also. The reel just brings up the slack.

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    but for big flatheads i would go with either the abu 6500 or the abu 7000 if u have the cash.

16. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    JP, The Georgia state record flathead was caught recently (83 lbs.) on a 6000and the 6000 is not quite as good as the 6500. When all things are right you can catch big fish on nearly anything. The 31-1/2 lb. blue in my avatar was caught using an Abu 5600C4 reel. This isn't even considered a catfish reel by many catfisherman.
    The 6500 is my favorite reel and I have several of them. If I were targeting big flatheads on purpose, I would opt for a larger reel. My favorite for when I'm going after the big ones is a Penn. JMHO

whatever it takes

Cheez

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have confidence in my 6501C3. I suggest slappin a power handle on em and if you are worried you can always buy the 3.8:1 wench gearing set. I havent tried that yet and havent really have had the need to.l

18. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I laughed when I read that question. Until recently I have always dreamed of being able to afford to move up in size to an Abu 6500 series. I used a 33 for years, then moved to cheap spinning reels, then I was elated to receive several old 5500s which I have used for 10 years. I dare anything in the water to grab the hooks on my 65/6600s. Just my humble opinion.

19. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the 6500 would hold up but they do have one downfall compared to the 7000. On the 6500 the part of the reel that you attach to the butt of pole is just welded in two spots as on the 7000 its attached to the reel itself and is much stronger. I have talked to a couple guys that have had it break off at the weld. All I can say is if you get enough use out of the reel to break the weld your doing something. The 7000 is a little better made but I think a 6500 would reel in a big flat I caught my biggest on a 6500 it was 57lbs and it didn't have any problem. The rod has just as much to do with it if not more The reel just brings in the slack.

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That should handle big flats with no problem, after all the world record 123 pounder was caught with a Zebco 33 from what I read, I still have a hard time believing that. lol