Abu Garcia 6500 repair

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by flathead7, May 18, 2009.

1. flathead7

flathead7 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Okay... I have a whole army of 6000's and 6500's but one of them is stubborn about engaging when I start cranking the handle. What do I need to do to fix it?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Greg have you taken it apart and cleaned it and after putting it back together it does this? I had one that did this after I cleaned it and it was one of those plastic brakes that was getting stuck (I put it in wrong). Once I took it back apart and put it together it worked fine.

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio...depending on how old it is, how straight the sideplates are, and if the frame's not racked, determines the cause.
    9/10, it's one of these: the position holder's weak fingers, a broken return spring, or a worn end tip on the clutch arm.
    A new clutch arm and position holder with the built in return spring is not spendy, solving your problems for a very long time.
    If you are careful, and it's just the clutch arm, you can rebvend the very tip to a sharper angle to catch the driveshaft.
    Forget trying to rebend the fingers on the position holder.... at best it's 50.50. New is better. Hope this helps. KD

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Ken, I don't understand what you said, but,,,, I believe it!!!:wink:

I need the price list and schematics to decipher all those proper names!!:big_smile:

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The press arm. (the flat piece that presses the gear up out of the way of the spool gear. it's the flat piece the release button is part of) gets dirty also. I would'nt recommend taking the brake plate assy. apart to the novice guy. But you can use a toothpick to wedge it up and clean and grease under it really well. That usually takes care of it unless parts are worn bad.

6. flathead7

flathead7 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks.

7. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)

Hio, G...Unsure if there's a tutorial in the sticky section of the library....I still need to 'finesse' my way about the site... but offsite at another poster's page, lives a pretty good lineup of photos and aids, on a 55C3.
    Abu's round reels in the 4-5-6 sizes are pretty much all the same, except for the frame and spool. so your 65's covered.
    Alan posts here when he has a chance, being very busy in cyberspace, and his 'real' job. Because you have several reels, if you are leary anywhere, you can always take a boo at one of your reels still assembled, by taking it down to where you are, and not touching anything.

Give it a looksee, and I'll bet you can ace your repair in no time.
    Best, KD http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=krfb6m72mu1120fbgtiub9rs06&topic=67.0