Abu Garcia 6500 questions!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TA2D, Jul 24, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am concidering getting a 6500 series Ambassadeur baitcaster, but don't know jack about them. Could someone tell me the differences between a:

6500CS Pro Rocket

6500 C4 LE

6500 TC

6500 C3

6600 C4

Thanks all help is appreciated

Aaron

TA2D

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'm not the resident expert but do own a half dozen Abu reels so here's what I can think of.

The basic Abu 6500 you'll run across is the 6500 C3. The 2006 models have a new drag (carbon matrix) plus 3 bearings. A very smooth reel and my latest purchase - smoothest reel I've ever owned. Probably the best reel for the money there.

Walmart caries a 6500 CL3 which differs by having gold accents and a different spool. Got one of these too and it's a great one.

The 6500 C4 has 4 bearings, that's the only difference I know. Also a 6500 D5 which has a fancy magnetic brake system that's really not worth it IMO for the experienced baitcast user.

Abu reels in the 600 series (4600, 5600, 6600) have thumb bars instead of the push-buttom spool release. It's hard on me to use one with a thumb bar since I grew up with 5000s and using my thumb to regualte depth while drifting.

I dont know anything about the others but expect they have just a few more or less bells and whistles than the basic 6500C3.

Hope my ramblings help.

3. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The main differences are cosmetics and gearing. C4's run a higher gear ratio than the C3's. You just simply can't go wrong with a 6500 C3. Put a power handle on it and you have one sweet reel. If you are looking for something with a thumb bar then the 6600SSC3 is a good reel as well.

4. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    C3 has been around for ever and never had a problem with mine. Im gonna get two more of the new ones. The only thing i suggest is if you get any abu that you get a power handle for $15. It makes a world of difference believe me. I run 50lb big game on them and it holds plenty of line, loud clicker. Just oil them up good about every 15-20 times out and they'll last a life time.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you get a 6500 c3 make sure it's a 2006 model with all the upgrades.

6. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio

Where do i find a "power handle" for the 6500c? Any links would be appreciated

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Cabela's, Bass Pro, maybe Catfish Connection, or any decent sporting goods store in your area should have them. The handle it comes with is ok, but if cranking up big fish or fishing deep, the bigger handle helps.

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sometimes you can get the power handles off ebay. i have seen them on there before.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    it seemed to me that C2 had 2 bearings and C3 has 3 and C4 has 4 just kinda noticed that

but i dont like a reel without the thumb bar

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I can't add a thing everyone has given a pretty darn accurate description. I would spend a couple of bucks on some reel covers, to try to keep them as dirt, and sand free as possible. Maybe a once a year cleaning, will make it last a long time. So, good fishin', Jack.

11. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    yall have a lot of good point so i can't put nothin

12. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah a link would be nice.. i looked on some of the sites and see handles but not for my abu 6500c

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You can also get the power handels direct from Abu. Just call the 1-800 number. They can direct your call.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  15. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks. i tried looking on that site with no luck LOL

Thanks again.

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Ebay has a ton of em up. I just went and looked. Gonna get one for my new 6500 sometime soon. Looks like $15-20 will get ya one.

17. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's where I got mine HEH
    Since you seem like you are on, how do you get coins?

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    post, post, post

submit library articles will also get ya some

19. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I just purchased a C3 2006 model and it is alot smoother than my prvious C3 the drag is really nice and the level win d has also been improved. You will really like this reel. Take care and God Bless.

20. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i just purchased a 6500 last year good reel but lol should have waited for the 2006 one:angry: