Abu Garcia 6500 maintenance

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Bill in SC, May 5, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, I found, I guess someone posted here on the forum, a wonderful youtube tutorial for dissasembly and cleaning of Abu Garcia reels. Well, I had a reel not performing like it should. I have MANY of these reels, so I figured that there is no time like the present to jump on working on one of them. Everything has gone fine, but I have a part that I am suspect of. There is a shaft that goes through the spool. It has gears on it. Between the two gears appears to be a black plastic spacer/washer. The one on my shaft appears boogered up somewhat. Is this tiny bushing/spacer/washer, or whatever, supposed to go all the way around the shaft, or is it supposed to have a space in it, in order to be able to replace it like a snap ring? I see NO way to replace it, as the gear does not slide off to access that spot, and the bushing does not appear to be able to slide over the gear to replace it. here are a couple of pics so you can see what I am trying to say. ANY help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Bill, that's what I call the pinion carrier, It's broken,,
    The pinion snaps into it, and is held by it.,, the pinion carrier follows the push button actuation, and, and engages the brake pins when you crank the handle,,The black plastic, is C shaped where the pinion gear snaps into it, doesn't go all the way around.
    anyhow,, it probably feels kinds grindy, and sluggish, if it works at all.
    you can call pure fishing,Abu garcia parts supplier ,, 712-336-1520
    The part # is 20664
    if you need any help, I can help you out.
    Greg

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Im not sure but I wonder if that whole assembly is pressed on the shat somehow. That is how it looks to me. Im going to take a 10000,big game apart this week sometime, Ill see how it looks compared to that. good luck

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The 1000000000 are a bit different!!:big_smile:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hmmmmm, according to my parts breakdown, part# 20664 is part of the bail mechanism. The part I am describing is on the post the the spool rides on. The reel was reeling as smooth as a baby's behind, but when the button was pushed to cast, the line would barely come off, like it was binding up real bad. You could barely pull line out by hand. Then, after you got some line pulled out, again, it reeled back in as smooth as silk. I found a bunch of crud inside the reel and figured that was the problem, until I saw that boogered up washer/bushing, or whatever it's called. I have my parts laid out in order, so reassembly will be a cinch, but I do need the little black neoprene whatever it is to put between those two gears. The gear assembly is part #23403, but I don't see the bushing between it as a seperate part.
    Bill in SC

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Bill
    Part # 23404 is on the left side of a right handed reel, If you take the left sideplate off, It's sitting there looking at you. you can remove the Right side brake cap, and then grab that plastic gear and remove the whole spool assembly, the white plastic gear,# 23404 is just snapped into place into the spool, ,, it'll pop off with a bit of pressure, then you can remove the brake assembly from the right side, slide the axle from the spool and you'll have two bearings and a copper wavey washer sitting on your table,,
    The picture you originally posted was of the pinion gear which is spun from the "Bull" gear on the handle/drag shaft..
    it's carried in the Pinion carrier,, #20664, I can see in your picture part of that part, it's broken,,,.
    I don't know about the other side, which is the other part #23403, IF that's messed up you might need to look at your worm gear drive and the intermediate gear, #23404.. They're all plastic, albeit good tough stuff, but, from your original pic, the #20664 is busted..

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The part you are referring to is in this first diagram. The part I am working on is in the second diagram. 20662 is NOT even on the spool shaft assembly I am working on. See pics. The black bushing is between the gears on part #23403. The bushing is not even shown on the diagram.
    BB

Attached Files:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Bill
    First pic, # 20664. carries the little pinion gear..
    In your original post, the pic shows the pinion gear, and part of 20664 still stuck on it,,
    That's at least one part you definitely need. Then, if other stuff is busted, go from there.

I've got all night, so, let me know,, we can get it figured out!!

Also, if you want, take a look at another of your 6500's and see, how it compares, if you want to..
    As, you pretty much need to completely disassemble the RS sideplate stuff, to access the pion gear carrier...

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Edit... Hold on. The part I am looking at 23403 is a plastic gear. I'm lookin' at the wrong thing on the parts diagram. lemme look some more.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
  11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    OK, FINALLY I see what you are talking about. It's night here, and i haven't much light to see by. I see now that the 20664 looks suspect. Lemme wait until tomorrow in good light to get this worked out! I sincerely appreciate your help!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Also, if you want, take a look at another of your 6500's and see, how it compares, if you want to..>

LOL! NO WAY I'm taking two apart at the same time, but I think I have a grasp on what you are talking about now. Again, I'll attend to looking at it dloser come daylight. I'm off to bed now as it is after midnight. Sincerely appreciate your help!!!!! Will holler back tomorrow!
    BB

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    My pleasure,,
    Let me know, and I'll be happy to stay on it till it gets figured out..

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You da man, Greg, and I appreciate it! reps out to ya!

BB in SC

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    as much as Grege knows about theas ABU's i think he needs his on section call it Grege's ABU Shop what ya think