Abu Garcia 6500 C4 Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Gordhawk, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone familiar with this model of reel? I'm looking at one but I've never owned a Abu Garcia reel and I need some input on this reel. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a 6500 c3. Basically, its the same reel. The c4 has more bearings and a faster retrieve. As I am not casting lures constantly, the faster retrieve isn't worth the extra money. Also, some believe the lower gear ratio in a c3 is better for hauling in big ones. I've a 5600c4, same difference between it and the 5500c4, the extra goodies aren't needed for catfishing. I like the reel, but the 6500 c3 is the better cat fishing reel.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have had two 6501-C3 reels for about 6-8 years and have not had any problems. They are excellent catfish reels. I recently purchased a new Ambassadeur 6601-CB. As was pointed out, it has the higher gear ratio of 6.3:1 vs. the 5.3:1 of the 6500 reels. The 6501 and 6601 are left hand reels. I added the Ambassadeur Power Handle to each of these reels. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with this reel.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Post your questions Glenn... someone here will know the answers.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have bidded on a Abu 6500 C3, I hope to win it. U cant go wrong with any of Abu Reels!

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    My fishing partner has a 6500 C4. It's a casting dream. Don't be put off by comments on the faster retrieve. I haven't had any problems bringing in fish on my fast retrieve reels. Those blue sideplates do attract the babes! Fish on!!!!

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The 6500c3 is a casting dream also. Take a look at the forums for saltwater striper fishermen, those who surf fish. Its a very popular reel with them. I do like the fast retrieve with my 5600c4, but I don't think the c4's are worth the extra money for catfishing. Lure fishing, yes, but not bait fishing.

8. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I used the 5.3/1 ratio reels for so long that the 6.3/1 doesn't feel right to me. I really like the Thumb Bar as opposed to the release tab but I have to get used to it ever time I make the transition. I really like the 6500C3 better for Catfishing. If you are starting from scratch as far as conditioning you will be pleased with either. They are both great reels!

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have both the 6500C3 and C4. As far as which is better to me both reels have their positives. As far as retrieval speed the faster speed does help take up slack faster and helps keep the cats around cover pulled out faster. I own quite a few different abu reels and use them for more than just cat'n they build great reels and the service dept. is tops in my book. You will not be disappointed with the reel.