Abu garcia 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Feb 5, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay everybody i am thinking about buying a abu garcia 6000 baitcaster i have been reading about them and it said it is a level wind.my quistion is is casting them difernt from casting ones with abutton u press with your thumb and also does it have a bait clicker. any tips on casting it or anything u can help me with would be great thanks.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no difference betwwen thumb, button. just location. i think all 6000's have bait clickers too. i really dont see any difference betwween a 6000 and a 6500. i have 2 of each.

3. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Go for it. They're grreat reels. I own BOUT 4 MY SELF.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you are asking if they cast different than a spincast (zebco33)absolutly. and yes they have a bait clicker. you should check out the library

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two of them and they are great, I love them.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes they are different they a push button spincast reel, much different..But A whole lot better.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks for the help guys. what i ment buy button casting i mean like my bass baitcasters. also what exactly is a level wind reel.

8. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I believe levelwind is where it has a line guide when you reel in so the line goes on the spool straight.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have several of them and you will love the reel.

10. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Your bass baitcasters have a levelwind. It's the thing that moves back and forth as you reel your line in to keep it even along the entire width of the spool. I have a bass baitcaster also, and I do like the location of the thumbbar better on it than Abu Garcias in the C3 (or Classic) series. But, you can get Garcias with the thumbbar right over the spool, like the new Abu Garcia Record reels (gets great reviews if you can afford it). My uncle has a 5-7 year old Abu reel that is just like the C3 only it has the thumbbar and is still the lower gear ratio needed for catfishing (5). That's what I'm looking for.

Regards,
    Jarod

11. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

The CB series Abu;s I know for sure have the thumb casting button.....

12. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

The Orange reels... Rockets..

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Got A 6000 This Past Christmas & It Was Pretty Much My 1st Baitcaster Reel & I Really Like It. It Took Me Some Time & Practice Learning To Cast It But Once I Learned, I've Got No Complaints. I Think Their Good Reels.

14. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, those reels have the higher gear ratio. Faster retrieve, but less power. Not what I want when cranking in those big catfish. I'm looking for a thumbbar (as opposed to the metal freespool button) and a low gear ratio.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont know the gear ratio on theise reels but their is some thumbbar abus on e bay 6600-SSC3 For 65 buy it now.

16. birdnest

birdnest New Member

There is a notable difference.
    With the thumb bar, like my 5600-C4 I can cast with one hand because I can hold the spool in place with my thumb and squeeze the thumb bar with the lower part of my thumb and the line stays put. With my 6500-C4 it has the release button on the side like most of the ABU's, 6000's, 7000's, 5000's, etc. I for one, at least need to use both hands. One hand has to keep the spool/line in place while I release the button/brake, then I can cast. Not significant, but notable.
    Tightlines,
    Birdnest

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I for one dont need a free hand when casting :p . and I'm usually not in a hurry to make another cast when catfishing, its usually 15min at least between casts. Slinging around a pound of weight-n-bait one handed, that sounds like a challange.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Abu 6000 is a levelwind reel and I own one I like my 6000 very much, it has been good to me.