Abu Garcia 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by goingfishin, Dec 25, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I found a guy that is selling three brand new Abu Garcia 6000 for less than fifty dollars a peice. Is the 6000 modle big enough to handle fish over fifty pounds or should I wait to find a 6500 modle?:roll_eyes:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    New Abu 6000's for under $50 is no huge deal. (good deal, but not a great deal) If I'm not mistaken the Red 6000's (w/ bushings rather than berings) are $55 or $60 @ Walmart every day. I used to have contact info for a guy who sold refusrbished Abu's for a real big discouint. If I'm not mistaken 6000's were around $35. THese reels came w/ a warranty too. If you want me to try and find his info I can.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN

Bryan,
    Id like that info about the refurbished Garcia 6000 reels if its not too much trouble. Thanks rspd507

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Clifton,
    I have four of the Garcia 6000 reels and am very satisfied with them. Ive landed fish over 30 pounds with no problem at all. Never landed a fifty so I cant say how they perform with a fish of that size. As far as paying under fifty dollars a piece, thats not the best deal going. I picked mine up of ebay for $35 to $38 dollars a piece. rspd507

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Yes, if its not to much trouble I could use the information.:big_smile:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Abu 6000 and I love my I have caught lots of cats on it. But $50 bucks is almost a new 6000.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There won't be any difference in landing different size fish between the 6000 and the 6500. They're the same reel with the exception of difference in the number of bearings. Even the new 6000s have one spool bearing in them instead of two bushings. The drive gears and the drag washers are the same between the two, and that's what fights the fish. About the only advantage the 6500 with the higher number of bearings will give you is longer casting distance if you are having to cast far from the bank.

You can get refurbished or "display model" 6000s all day long on ebay for between 30.00 and 40.00.

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What about a 6600 is it a good reel for the job of catching big fish. I can get a combo at walmart for 69.99 is that a good deal I may go buy two of them if you think so ? thanks Sam Davis

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Sam,
    You need to take a closer look at that combo at walmart. Those are the Garcia's that are now made in China. If you look at them, you will see that the level wind guides are plastic instead of metal. Some here also have found them to have cheaper made gears in them. rspd507

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's why I build all of mine from scratch from surplus parts. I know exactly what's in em and, THEY'RE MADE IN AMERICA! LOL

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    An abu 6000 landed the 40-lb flathead in my avitar with ease...They are the same size as the 6500.

12. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    xringer3 where do you get your parts to rebuild your reels, i have several 6000s that i need to work on this winter.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I get them from different places depending on what I need. Just search the net. Also, ebay is a good source. There are several people on there that sell parts. Sometimes you can run across a box of misc. old parts from old reels that are still good to fix older models. I usually scarf these up when I can so I'll have some when someone brings me an oldie that they want to keep in service. Some old reels are kinda sentimental to some folks.

You can do a web search and find several places that have parts. Good luck. If you have trouble finding anything in particular, give me a shout. I might have it laying around.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have two of the abu 6000 and find them to be good reels for the money. I use mine on the river. I've had mine for years, but $50. seems high for used I would shop around. Walmart used to have them for a little more new. I'm not sure if they do anymore, so far I've seen a cheaper version from china. Still I would shop around.