abu garcia 6000 upgrades

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by redneckchev, Mar 23, 2008.

1. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    i've got a standard abu garcia 6000 reel that i won on ebay.i'm going to get a power handle to put on it.is what i was wondering is there any kind of upgrades that i can do to it as far as drag washer and bearings and such to get better performance out of it.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I also "won" two NEW 6000s on eBay for $35 each. I was also considering the power handles. The handles average $15 to $20. Man it is a shame to have to pay that much for a handle when the whole reel was only twice that amount. Sorry I don't have any info on other upgrades, but someone here will.
    Bill in SC

3. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There's a thread in the member library on how to change out the bushings to bearings. Smoothdrag.com carries replacement drag washers for just about all makes and models.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Typical upgrades I do are to change the spool bushings out for bearings. The stainless bearings you can get for about 10 bucks a pair. The ceramics are twice that much, but will throw a hell of a lot further when broke in. If you're going for distance, then the bearing upgrade will be worth it. If you don't have to worry about distance, then I'd stick with the bushings, especially if fishing in a sandy envrinment. Get the sand down in the bearings, and see how long they will last.

The second modification I do is to change out the worm gear guard for the one with the bearing in the end. I've tried the one with two bearings, and haven't seen any difference in distance, just in cost.

As far as drag washers, the carbon matrix drag washers seem to give the most improvement of any of them. You can get more in your improvements than you did in the reel for not much improvement in performance if you're not careful. Determine what you want the reel to do. If you're fishing from a boat or not casting far, then I'd just go with the drag washer modification. If you have to go for distance, then I'd go with the bearings.

One thing to keep in mind with the bearings. The stainless bearings need a little oil on them now and then. The ceramic ones work better dry, but will really spin fast. If you don't stay on top of them, you can get a "professional over-ride" with them easily. If they are spinning too fast, then you can put a drop of oil on them to slow them down a bit. When you're ready for them to spin fast again, just soak them for a half an hour in lighter fluid and let them air dry.

If you shop around on ebay, you can get the ceramic bearings and drag washers together for under 30 bucks. Then go to the member library and check out the pictures on how to install them.

Good luck with the new reel.

5. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks xringer.i have been looking and found everything i need for the upgrades.

6. redneckchev

redneckchev New Member

State:
    georgia
    what model ambassadeur has the worm gear bearing.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The C4 has one worm gear bearing on the right side of the worm gear. It uses the standart worm gear and the bearing just replaces the nylon bushing in the worm gear guard. The C5 has the same bearing on the right side, but also a bearing attatched on the other end of the worm gear. This is a different worm gear and is more expensive than the standard one. You can get them in te 4600, 5500, 5600, 6500, &6600s, both C3, C4, & C5.