Abu garcia 6000-good for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Jul 8, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey guys,i have a birthday coming in october(a little early on the post i know)but im going to get an abu 6000 be cause the 6500 is kinda out of my reach.but my quiestion is will it handle big flatheads up to 40 pounds.
    any info u have will help me out alot thanks.

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion, a 6000 should be fine for big flatheads. A lot of people might try to tell you to get a 6500 or 7000, but if you fight the fish right, the 6000 has enough muscle to get the job done. Just my opinion, hope it helped.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah a 6000 is fine for the most part but if you get in real heavy cover you need something that will hold alot of heavey line and maybe a lower gear ratio than a 6000.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 6000 and 6500 are the same size real, it will get the job done..The only problem is it will not hold a whole lot of heavy line, probably about 120yds of 30-lb test, which should be fine for most fishing.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    In my opinion, yes and no. If you fish relatively open water and have enough line on your reel, you should be fine. If you fish heavy cover, I don't believe the 6000 has a strong enough drag system to stop a big one before it hits the cover.

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've never had any trouble with the 6000 or 6500 size reel. I think the only difference is the 6000 is a bushing reel whera the 6500 is a bearing reel. I cant tell that much difference in them. I dont think the average catfisherman is going to wear out the bushings, youll enjoy your new reel.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks guys,yall have helped me out alot. the place i fish does not have mutch cover so i guess it should be fine.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you can see yourself becoming a flathead fisherman in the future save up till you can get a 7000. They have more brute cranking power,line capacity, and are better at holding a big livebait in free spool than a 6000 or 6500. If you are just gonna dabble with flats once in awhile it will be fine to get the 6000. After using both to chase flatheads I leave the 6500 at home now unless I'm going after channels. You will just be saving money in the long run if you get a larger reel now and don't have to upgrade later.

9. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    6000 is a good reel, just as important though in my opinion is the rod that you put it on. If your rod cant handle holding and turning a big flathead your reel choice aint a real big deal.Good luck to ya.

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have landed large fish on my 5500 and I like the 6000 better then that. I have no doubts about the 6000. I would also agree that the rod you put the reel on is very important. the smaller the eyes the farther you will cast. With the line problems people are talking about I would recommend that you you use a smaller diameter line... I find it to be stronger and have less memory...

11. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have the 6000, 6500, and 7000. I don't tangle with 60 lb. flat heads here on my home waters. If you do you may want to go to a 7000. As for my type of fishing the 6000 is at least as good as the 6500. The 7000 is too heavy and bulky. Also the 6000 and 6500 have not failed me yet.l

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have caught several flatheads in the 40-50lb range with the ABU 6000 spooled with 20lb sufix line. The reel did it's job quite nicely, handled the fish as good as my 7000 does. The lake I fish has a good bit of cover and rocks so your line takes a good bit of abuse but the sufix line holds up great.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've had no problems landing fish with my 6000.. I got 25LB line on it now, getting ready to put 30 on it...

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

gotta love that suffix line!!!

I hope you enjoy your new reel!

Josh

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I caught my biggest flat(33.5lbs) with my 6000,with 20lb test.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two 6000's and love them. I also have a few reels around here that are at least 30 years old that have bushings and they still work like they are new.

18. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know the large reels are touted on here and I have the 6500s myself, but I used 4 5500s for ten years and never got the line run off them. They worked great. I moved up only because I can afford to and the larger ones hold more line and have bait clickers on them. I still haven't had any fish take out half my line on the 6500s and I'm catching 30lb plus. Get what you can afford and learn to fish with them. You'll be fine.

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Also, IMO stick with the 20lb Big Cat line on the smallers reels. I'd rather have the extra line and just set my drag loser. I watch 100 lb marlins being caught on 4lb test line. That was enough to convince me. The 20lb will cast better.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Another option, Power Pro small diameter high strength. I use it on my 6000 size abu's and love it. If I need a little xtra drag I use my thumb :roll_eyes: . If your wanting a 6500 check walmart they have their abus in the display on sale here. I think, the 6500 and the 6000 are the same price right now and the 7000 is 79.99