Abu Garcia 6000 and braided line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alpal16, Jan 7, 2009.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I was chatting with some fellas and was told that an AG 6000 reel was not good to use with braided line. I was wondering if anyone here uses braided line with this reel and what their experience with it was? I was hoping to use braided line with this reel since it seems the line capacity for mono was not that great.

Any help, suggestions, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

P.S. I hope nobody has as bad a case of cabin fever as I have lately.:wink:

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i use braid on mine and it works just fine bee using it for years.:cool2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sorry but them fellers don't know what they are saying. I use 100# Power Pro on my 6000s, and they perform flawlessly. Cast long and true, and will pull any cat swimming in North America. NO issues with it. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA! The fish in my avatar was pulled two weekends ago on a 6000 with braid. Then, caught a 51 pounder on a 6000 with braid last weekend.
    Bill in SC

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I know where that info stems from. When the braids were first introduced, there were issues with some of the Abu's and bent spools due to the fact that the spool doesn't have a solid shaft in it. Instead, the spool slides onto a shaft supported by the bearings on each end. Given the extreme high test of the braids and a really tight drag, warped spools occurred sometimes. It shouldn't be a problem with any of the newer reels.

5. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not wanting to jump into a good post. How do you guys spool the reel?
    Half or less brain on top of mono? All braid? and if you do where do you find spools of braid over 100 yards?

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    No`problems here, I've been using braid in a 6000B for years. A 150yd spool of 65lb Sufix Braid is a perfect fit, and a 150 yard spool of 65lb PowerPro will almost all fit.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use about half the spool with mono, and the top half with braid.

<and if you do where do you find spools of braid over 100 yards?>

Braid in spools up to 1500 yards can be found most anywhere, at least in the Power Pro.

Bill in SC

8. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Bill you are so right about using the braid on abu's. Spool half with mono and the other with braid. Just don't set the hook to hard. But the Abu Garcia 6000 is perfect for braid fishing. Just try not to backlash it to good. I did that a few years back with mine. I had trouble and then some getting 65lb power pro un backlashed

9. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Just curious---what's the reasoning behind using half mono/half braid? Why not use all braid?

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The reason is slipping. The braid will slip on the spool if not dealt with in a few different ways. You can do the mono first and then the braid or just put down a wrap or two of electrical tape and then spool up with all braid.

11. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Like others said the mono helps the braid from slipping. Good idea on the electrical tape. Never thought of that

12. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    To eliminate bending the spool when hung up you can carry a short 5" or 6" piece of dowel and wrap the line around it a few times and use it to pull with. No more bent spools!