Abu Garcia 5500C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just picked one of these up on ebay for a descent price. has anyone used one of these and if so, any good or bad things you have noticed. from what i have read it is mainly a bass reel, but i was going to use it for cats. its not a ery large reel from what i can tell, what i want to know is, do you guys think it will hold up? an input would be great

2. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    it should be fine. i have one i use. the biggest i have caught on it was about 20# though. was that the brown one they had on there?

3. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    no it was a newer one, i think it was either grey or silver. i was just looking at it, and decided to bid on it and won it. i have never used the 5500 series, so i didnt really know to much about them. i have used an old 5000 and it worked great, so i figured if i can pick this one up for 35.00 then i would give it a shot.

4. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use 4 to drift with. I have them on a Silstar Catfishmaster rod. Big fish has been 40lbs. They work great for me.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I ran across two of these reels last week in a store for 45 a piece. Marked down several times from 69 dollars.
    I bought both of them.
    Spooled em with some 12 pound mono. They are ready to go.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i picked this one up for 36.00 on ebay, but i have to pay shipping. so all told it cost me 46.00. they had a lot of 3 6500's that i almost got for 55.00 for all of them, but i was outbid with 12 seconds to go. maybe i will try again tonight. thanks for the help. does this one come with a bait clicker or am i going to have to "modify" it a little?

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive got a 5500 that i use to catch redfish. it has heald up really well. the biggest on that reel was 30#, but in my opinion a 30# red will fight and run harder than anything alive. we are talking 15# mono so it was peelin drag and going every which way for about 45 min. the reel never skipped a beat.

8. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have 2 5500C3's and I have used them alot. I think you'll really like them and they should last you just about forever. Good luck.

9. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    the 5500 doesnt come with a bait clicker.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    You should be able to catch any size fish on that 5500. The difference between it and the 6500 is the line capacity. The fish can run a little further on the 6500, but I've never had a fish hit the bottom of my spool.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    thanks alot for the info. looks like i might have to get back on ebay and see if i can find anymore of them. i will elt you know what i find.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the model 5000d has a clicker. to find an abu with a clicker it would be eaiser to look at the next size up, 6000 you can probally find some for the same price.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    well i snagged up another one last night for 26.00 including shipping. now i guess i will have to go out and find a couple of good rods to put them on.