Abu garcia 5500 d5

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by massa_jorge, Feb 25, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got two of these reels and a couple of 6500 d5's on sale a while back. none of them made it a full year. the retrieve feels like something is grinding. all four of these series reels are like this.
    i use only abu garcia baitcasters, but these seem to be of a different design. should i send them back to the company for repair or try it myself?
    these were brand new in the box when i got them, from wallyworld.

oh it might be ds for the series, it just looked like a '5' to me!

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a 6600 d5. It worked well for about a year, then the thumb bar wouldn't engage after casting without me pushing it back up. The reel seems to have problems, though it did well when it worked. I wouldn't buy another, rather stick to the 5500c3/6500c/3 reels.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys, I was sure thinking about one of these reels but didn't know how they stacked up to the old ones. Has anyone had any good luck with them?

4. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Three years ago, like you I jump on Wally world sale and picked up three D5 for less than 30 bucks each. I still use them and ocassionally on one of the reels the thumb bar would not retract back when you crank the handle a couple of turns after casting. That seems to be the only problem I have with the D5 but I will not recommend it or buy another.

On a different note, the reel is easy to use even a baitcaster novice will have no problem casting the D5.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah i have taught two of my friends how to throw a baitcaster with them. they were super nice when i got them, caught a 14 pound channel on one with no problem. picked them up for $17 each, i couldn't walk away from them, wish i had. picked up daiwa heavy casting rods for 10 bucks each there too, 89 dollar rods. the rods are awesome for cats, but the reels, i just don't know.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    When the reels work, they are pretty decent of cats. That's a big when,though.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I had two for a short time. I broke the clicker in one before it was ever used by reeling it upside down. They are both gone now.