Abu Garcia 4600 hps

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by FS Driver, Sep 21, 2005.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this reel is not but 6 mo.old maybe.
    has a little catch sensation on part of the revolution of turning the handle.
    i would like to get a in order lowdown of how to take apart and clean
    one of these reels so i dont take something apart and something go flying apart or falling out not knowing where it went.
    thanx

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    DRC... I am not sure of the exact reel. I found the Ambassadeur HPSS 4600c on Abu Garcia's website. Is this the same reel you have? They are a very basic reel and easy to take apart and put back together. Go to Abu Garcia's Website and on the left side of the screen click on schematics and then select your reel. There are two diferrent schematics for the Ambassadeur HPSS 4600c (1100 & 1101). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. The schematic will make it easy to put back together if you forget where a part fits. Hope this helps. Abu

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Check your levelwind gear,and your line pawn.If the gear(worm gear) has a rough place in it it will fill like a catch.Is it catching in the same place each time you turn the handles?If you ever have a backlash and line get's between the line pawn and the sideplate and it's forched in any way the gear may burr.Wind it and watch the gear close and see if you see it jump a little when you feel tension.

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Ambassadeur HPSS 4600c

this is the one ive got it in front of me now as i type .
    i;m going to take side plate off and see if there is a piece of
    line in there .
    i can see the worm gear /levelwind jumping or anything jumping for that matter it just feels stiff to turn at any time but if yiou give it
    a quick spin it does rotate several times but it feels un greased or tight ?
    i'll post my findings.
    thanx for help guys.

5. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    DRC...I just fixed one that had a chipped line pawl and a stripped plastic cog. It acted the same as you have described for your Hank Parker Ambassadeur. If you find the line pawl is bad, don't forget to check the plastic cog in the left side plate, it is part #23404 in the schematic. Check all the parts in your levelwind system before ordering parts. I hate ordering parts for the same reel twice. :) Abu

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    although that website has the schematics it doesn't have reference to the parts names!!!!!!!:sad:

pawls iddgits a gadgits are not going to help if i cant or dont know what i'm looking at. i will search more tonite.
    i took it apart yesterday evening (not completly) both covers removed and the long axle? out and oiled a couple drier looking areas i couldn't tell exactly what was the trouble.

its not rough its tight feeling !

at bp they have all their reels mounted on rod ends so you can spin the handles
    or get a better feel of it.
    well if you hold this reel in hand and slap the handle it only turns maybe 5 or 6 times.
    ive seen other abus spin a dozen times or more......bearing?????

maybe this is not a roller bearing type??? i thought the c models were?

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    DRC.... I done some checking and all the Hank Parker Signature Series Ambassadeurs have the roller bearing in the side plate. Remove the side plate with the cranking handle on it. If it reels smooth and the tightness is gone you have eliminated everything in the side plate and your roller bearing is good. If it is still tight the problem is in the side plate somewhere. Take alook at your line guide where you put your fishing line through. Underneath the line guide is a flathead screw cap, remove the screw cap and your line pawl is inside. If the pawl does not fallout with a tap or two of the reel it may be damaged and stuck against the worm it goes across. Let me know what you find out and I can post some photos if you don't get it fixed. Abu