Abu Garcia 10000i Big Game

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishguy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am considering getting one or more of these reels. Has anyone used one? If so, what did you think? I can't find one locally so I'll have to order one, but I could sure use some input. I really like the line capacity of the reel and I don't think I would ever hook a cat that it wouldn't pull in.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don, here is some food for thought and debate. The 10000 should be a good reel, but way overkill for catfishing. I would go with a 6500 or 7000 for several reasons. first would be weight the 10000 is heavy, 2nd do you really need almost a quarter mile of line, 3rd is cost, you could by a 6500, line and a nice rod for what the 10000 is going to cost.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don,
    There was one on E-Bay a couple of days ago. I think Buck is 100% right about the Garcia reels . I have several of them. Does any one have any experiance with a Garica 7000SSC3 , I am getting one soon. Thanks

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Don, I have looked at them but they are BIG. I use 7000's exclusively. They have plenty of line capacity and they are not enormous.:eek:oooh: As Buck said, the 6500 is a good reel. I just like the extra line capacity as well as the power handle on the 7000's.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have used both the 10,000 and the 7000 abu garcia's. Both are fantastic reels. However unless you're fishing extremely deep water and absolutely need the extra line, I wouldn't go with the 10,000. That is really the only difference between the two reels. I have all my rods equipped with 7000i's and LOVE EM! They hold approximately 300 yards of 80lb PowerPro and I have NEVER come close to getting spooled. The power crank on them is fantastic, and you can get them for much less than the 10,000.

This is strictly my own opinion, but I think you'll be very happy with the 7000 as it still has all the cranking power you'll ever need to horse a big 'ol catfish to the boat. Good luck and great fishin'! :big_smile:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I like size of the 9000i

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have a few of the Abu's from the 6500's to the 9000. I really like the feel of the 7000's but when I get in to a real mess of an area I lean toward the 9000's. I know the 7000's could get a fish out of the mess but there is somethig about the 9000 that makes me feel better about it. You do not want to miss that fish of a life time so I go big. I would say in the end check out the 9000 I think it might be a better mix for you.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My opnion is that reel is way overkill, I had one and sold it..I use 6500's with 20-lb test and catch some big river flatheads on smaller tackle.

9. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I currently use a 7000 Abu and I really love it. I was thinking about getting the 10000 to go on my longer rods when I want to have a lot of line out fishing from shore and letting my bait drift with the current. I am talking about casting 75 to 100 yards and then letting it drift in the current. A really strong reel would be a big advantage pulling in a big cat from that kind of distance. My favorite so far is the 7000, followed by the 6500 for the med to heavy set up. Weight really isn't an issue because I won't be using the reel to repeatedly cast.

10. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use a Penn 309 when drifting baited rig in the current. Not sure about the size of the big ABU but the 309 will hold a 400yd spool of 30lb stren casts a little better when you stop at about 350yds. I fish with 200yds of line out and the only problem is the low gear speed on reeling back in to rebait. Plenty of power though on the fish catching side. This may not help but I just figured I chime in with maybe another option that is a lot cheaper.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    10000 isnt waaay overkill for river fishing. what flathunter failed to mention is hes not under guned using a 6500 fishing for big river flatheads "in a pay lake" :wink::tounge_out: mellon ratted you out a long time ago.:roll_eyes::wink: i seen him on not long ago hes way behind you in posts. you need to get im riled up into posting again:cool2:

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a Big Game 7000iHSN reel . This real is absolutely the best reel I've used and I will buy more . My reel will only hold 210 yards but I've never come even close to spooling it . Everything about these reels are great...everything .

I assume the bigger reels are built the same and I say you cant go wrong with them . They are more $$ than rockets etc but I like them better so I will pay the extra .

Like most here I think a 10000 is a overkill . I personally don't know anyone who has ever had a fish take a full spool on any 7000 or bigger reel......Just my 2cents

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/100_2313.jpg

-Jim-

13. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I think I need to go fishing with Don, If he needs a 10000 abu, then he's pullin in some real monsters:wink::big_smile:. In all seriousness, I think the 6500 is perfect for river fishing, but hey, each to their own, everybody has their own prefrences that work for them.

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good Stuff,,
    I really like the Abu 6500's c3, but, However,I use my 7000 most of the time. I like the drags and loud clickers on them..

I had cast out the other night and I didn't turn on the clicker,,, I guess I didn't cast to the right place, as I dozed off,, and when I woke up and checked my rod,,, it had about 2 wraps left on the spool!!! Some flatcat had moved my bait to where he thought it should be!!! He did kill my bait just for fun, as I could see where he clamped down on it... anyhow, I'll remember to turn the dang clicker next time...
    I'm not sure how much 50# mono I have on it, but, I only cast about 60 ft, and it had been moved quite aways..... Funny..

15. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have several 7000's and they are better suited for catfishing than the 10000. I have had several 10000s with and without levelwinds through the years, the 9000 will cast further I learned from measured long distance casting, I think it has to do with spool width. It is the same size in diameter but narrower width. The 7000 will do anything you can do with either in fresh water where line capacity is not a big issue. The drags are about the same in all of them from 7000-10000 and will only produce 22lbs or so locked down also

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Like most here I think a 10000 is a overkill .>

Me too. The 6500s work quite well for me.

Bill in SC

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    A BIG WELCOME TO BOC, TO YA JUSTIN;

The biggest I have are 7000' 7700 and thats all I'll ever need..:smile2:

18. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I guess there is only one way to find out. I gotta buy one. If nothing else I'll have a great reel for when I go to the beach. Still love my 7000 though.

19. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would go with the Daiwa Saltist 50 if I wanted a reel of that size. They have levelwind and non levelwind models. I have 2 of them. The only thing I don't like on them is the finish, it is painted on instead of a anodized finish, but they are cheaper than a anodized reel. They are the longest casting reel of that size that I have used in that price range, and have better drags than the Abu Garcia 10000

20. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the big welcome Kenny! This has been a the best site I've found for good catfishing information and good honest opinions. :big_smile: