Abu Garcia 10000i Big Game

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Feb 21, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Do any of you own one? If so , how do you like it? What size line do you use on it , and how much will it hold? Im torn between this reel and the 7000C3i. I want to use 40 lb. mono on it , possibly 50 lb. , but Im not sure how much the 7000C3i will hold, so I though I might get the 10000i Big Game to be able to hold more line. Also , Im wondering if the 10000i drag is better or equivalent to the 7000C3i. Ive never owned a baitcaster before , and Im seriously thinking about getting one this year and putting it on a Cafish Safari Extra Heavy Action rod. I just want to make the right choice in reels the first time. I like the idea of being able to hold more line in case I hook that real big boy that just doesnt want to stop , hopefully more line will finally wear him down, and Ill be able to get him back in. I just dont want to get spooled with a 7000C3i. Call me crazy, maybe Im just paranoid.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would start with a Abu 6500C3 and use 40 or 50 lb braided line.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I own a 9000, but I bought it for saltwater. Not really sure why you would want that kind of line capacity for catfish.

20-30 pound brain on a 6500 or 7000 will almost double your line capacity and that is more than you will ever need for any catfish.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Keith
    I use the Abu Garcia 7000 series reels and have no problems with tackling big fish. I spool with 40 lb. Cajun high abrasive mono and use either 100 lb Power Pro braid for leaders or 60 lb Cajun mono for leader.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    personally i think the abu 10000 is overkill for catfishing. i would opt for the 7000 c3. this reel is more than enough for catfishing. being the personal owner of a 7000c3, i definently love this reel. The 7000c3 will hold more than enough line for most catfishing applications. Being this is your first bait-caster, the 7000c3 is lighter, not as bulky, cheaper and one heck of a good casting reel. Sure, you can use braid, so you can fill more line on your reel. Just don't forget to use mono backing on it!. Good luck with your purchase.

Mark!
    Hope this helps.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have three 7000c3s. They are about as perfect as you can get for catfishing. I loaded them with 80 lb power pro. I have caught one fish that went 51 and lots of smaller ones. I have never been even closed to being spooled. The 10000 abu is much bigger than the 7000 to the point it is bulky and unhandy compared to the 7000. Since this is your first baitcaster I would really recomend the 7000 over the 10000. Now if money is no object get both.
    JMHO

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would go to a place where I could look at the 10000,9000 and 7000 side by side. The 10000i holds what 100 more yards of 20 pound test then the 9000. I would go with the reel that looked and felt best on the rod.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Everyone seems to be thinking, bigger, bigger, bigger. Heck, go ahead and mount a boom on the boat and hook a Warn winch to it. Then your problems would be solved! Just pickin' at ya Cathunter 1978. :)
    BB in SC

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    ABU BIG GAME 9000 BAITCASTDRAGSMART MAG DRAG SYSTEMBEARINGS2 STAINLESS STEELANTI-REVERSESTANDARDSPOOL CAPACITY430 YDS/20#
    If you are looking Catfish Connection has 10 or 12 left last I looked (yesterday) on clearance for $110.00 with an 11' rod.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    good one bill the flattie in my pic was landed with a 5000c with 10lb test line 56 1/2 lbs a big winch is not really needed

11. Zing

Zing New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keith I would go with the 7000, I have one and have no problem, even the 6500 with braid is fine. I am using 30# mono with 50# cajun leader. The drag systems on these reels are awsome. I do not think you'll go wrong with the 7000

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a 9000BG but got it for snagging spoonbill, it holds alot of 40 to 50lb test line, and it's got a stronger frame and drag than the 7000s.

However, if you've never used a baitcaster, I defenitely wouldn't start with a 9000 or 10000. They don't have cast brakes in them. I'd start with a 6000/6500 or even a 7000. The 6000 size reels are the easiest to learn to cast of the baitcasters. They're plenty big for catfish too. Just spool it up with good like from 20 to 30lbs, and you've got em licked. I've got reels from 4600 to 7000 I use for bass and catfish. I've never lost a fish because the reel wouldn't bring it in.

It's all on how you fight the fish. If you fight him with the rod, then just about any size reel will do. If you want to crank them in with the reel, then you might as well mount a winch on a fence post or you'll be wearing out reels no matter what they are. A 9000 or 10000 is not overkill, it's just not needed for catfish, and harder to learn to cast to a novice.

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Keith if you want an Abu with some real power and will have a desent spool size have a look at the 7000ic3 i have 4 of them and they are monsters!!!

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive used baitcasters before , I just dont own one. Im just getting opinions. I think Im going to go with the 7000C3i. Thanks everyone for the input. :big_smile:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have one 1000 big game its overkill Go with the7000 I have about 20 of them they are the perfect size, I use 100# power pro line its the same size as 20# mono , they will hold a bunch ,more than you will ever need The 1000 is just to big and bukie :0a26::wink:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish wyliecat:cool2:

17. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice shot slimdaddy:cool2:

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish reel blue:cool2:

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...i would opt for the 7000 c3. this reel is more than enough for catfishing..."

WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH for any catfish out there. Heck, an Abu Garcia 6500 is more than enough for any catfish out there. My biggest catfish came in on Abu Garcia 5000's. The reel never came into question.

The 10000 is designed for landing tuna, shark, and other saltwater fish that are capable of putting up more of a fight than a catfish. Yes, they are overkill, but if you just want one then go ahead and spend the money. :big_smile:

20. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I own 5000,6000, 7000 and one 10,000 series. The 7000 is a good compromise. It has more capacity than the 6000 but is a little less forgiving when casting. The 10,000 is a big reel I only use mine in my boat. Do what others have suggested and go to a store that carries them and pick them up and handle each one to see how they feel to you. I could land a cat with any series of the ABU's they are all good reels but how you use them and set them up makes all the difference.