abu garcia 10000i big game

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by eric2006, Sep 28, 2009.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Anyone have one of these reels?
    I found one for $160.99 and that includes shipping
    I was looking for a abu garcia7000 but came across this one, what do you guys think??

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I am sure they are good reels, but they are SSOO big. :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had one, and got rid of it quick...They are to big for me, and I fish for big fish...a 7000 is all you need.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    same here they are big and heavy

I didnt think they was as smooth as the 7000s but i was just playing with it in the store and didnt ever cast 1 ,, but when i spun the spool it didnt seem as free as a 7000

i bet they are a wench tho !!!!!!

5. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Overkill, IMHO.

6. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I havent seen one but it seem to me that they would be a little to big :eek:oooh:
    I think i'm going with the 7000i.
    Found one for $76.99

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    to big and to heavy unless your goin saltwater fishin and crankin up some goliath grouper after catfishing

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    One of their best sellers..

We got people using 150 pound power pro and catfish boats with 250 HP outboards.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Great reel. Look around a bit more though, that price is kind of steep. :wink:
    You can't go wrong with more capacity! If you do a lot of boat fishing, I'd definitely get this reel.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got a 9000i thats just right for me. so yea id probally say the 10000 is a little on the big size too.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    spool it with cable and get er done brotha

12. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey, there's nothing wrong with a little overkil :smile2:

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

LMAO thats what Im talkin about :smile2::big_smile::roll_eyes::tounge_out::confused2::crazy:

14. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I'm a liitle guy (130 lbs)and use 2 1/2 pound reels like its nothing.Weight never bothered me.I'm using spinning reels though.And I also like BIG reels.I've seen that reel and I don't hink I would have a problem casting it all day.

If your fishing for World Record Catfish.I wouldn't consider it overkill.

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good point Mike. If you're after 30lbs and up fish only and looking to catch and shatter the World Record nothing is overkill except shark/marlin combos

16. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't see the point in them. If you are after a fish that you need that big of a reel, I think you need to get rid of the levelwind first. and then the star drag second. IMO, I think a 7000, maybe 8000 is plenty big for cats (flats and blues). I doubt there are many people (if any) out there fishing for goliath grouper with a levelwind, star drag reel. Just doesn't make sense to me... :confused2:

17. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    What's wrong with a Star drag?From what I heard it just makes it easier to cast and less backlash.It dosnt have anything to do with how large of a fish your catching.Most of the Big Game reels I've seen dosnt have a star drag. .I have perch poles with star drags.Am I using the wrong equipment?

I also thought leverwinds where for small ocean fish that won't spool you like a Big Blue Catfish.If there not made for big fish that run like crazy, what is the purpose of them.WhatI don't know much about baitcasters but I'm willing to learn.