Abu fishing reel questions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by archer1914, Jun 30, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    on rogers sporting goods all of you have told me about and thank you bye the way they have abu 7000b for 89$ and abu 7000c3 for 99$ and abu 7000nld for 79$ and 9000 for 69$ and i found a local guy that has some quantum iron 4 salt waters for 89$ he said they are normally double that i can only aford to buy on right now and im going to put it on a 12 ft beef stik diawa pole for 24$ i dont know which to buy and i cant get my hands on them to compare what would u do i want all but i cant so how about some help thanks.

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I wish all of my reels were lever drags. I have the beefstick. I wish it was 10' instead of 11 or 12 or whatever it is. It is a bit clunky. I have the same rod in graphite and it is a lot easier to handle. It is holding up just fine though. It is a pretty stiff rod too.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The last time I looked at thier site, the 7000B was also 69.99. I would go with that one for the set up you're talking about. It's a great all a round reel. If you want a C3 later on, you can just replace the spool bushings with bearings, and you'll have a green C3.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if it was me id be looking for the best deal and that would be the 9000. i think the 7000b isnt on sale for the 69$ price anymore or id pick that one because i like the color. if youre not sold on just abu, pflueger contender seems to be a nice smooth reel for around the same price i just picked one up from ebay and it looks like its a winner. Id probally have a few of the reels you mentioned if i could get them for 60 at the time i could afford to spend it, because i dont see spending more than that when i can get a great reel for less.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So these good deals on rogers are not knock offs. I just can't see how they can sell them so cheap.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think their website said they get them by the box without boxes or papers so they may not be cosmetically perfect. im guessing reels that got pulled off the line because the paint or something wasent perfect.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks I will have to look for that.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got one of the 9000 Big Games from Rogers. There wasn't a thing wrong with it! It had the box, accessories, and book. There wasn't a mark on it anywhere. It actually thows better than my 7000s, but there is no brakes in the 9000. It holds quite a bit more line too. If you want to use 40 to 60lb mono, this would be the reel to use! I don't know how they're doing it at that price either, but they are, and I got mine in three days after I ordered it.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    They are last years reels thats why they are so cheap

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    other than the cosmetic damage, are they good working reels? it sounds like something i need to look into if they are.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There was no damage on my reel or the ones my buddies bought from them either. There's nothing wrong with them. Between me and my fishing buddies, we've bought about 4 9000BGs.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oops i guess that must of been another web site too many sites too little time.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Abu Garcia builds a lot of reels for different sporting good stores....If you want to see what's available on their site go here and look under baitcastinig, freshwater, and then click on your preferences....

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=50127&sk=46555&p=PUR4600C3

The above site should carry you to the iC3 models...Click on the 7000 and zoom in and take a looksee....BTW, I've sent a message to Abu Garcia pertaining to the subject of this thread....I'll let you know what the results is....Give them a week to respond, if they do...It may be a "touchy" subject....Dwight

14. flat toad

flat toad New Member

State:
    Wv but currently in VA
    for that price you cannot go wrong. I have a variety that have been in the family fo over 40 years and are smooth as the day they were new. the best thing about them is the ability to rebuild or replace key items for minimal cost. there are even after market bearings that are supposed to increase casting distance?

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The new upgrade bearings do add distance if you use the ones with the ceramic balls. I get anywhere from 10 to 25 yards depending on the type of reel and length of rod used. The ceramics also don't require oil either to be that smooth, and don't gum up like the stainless bearings getting dust and dirt collecting and mixing with the oil.

The only drawback to the ceramics is that they do cast so easy, you have to adjust your reel down a little more or it will over ride a little easier. If it backlashes easier, you can add oil to them to slow them down a bit.

I do like them better than the stainless bearings. They're easier to take care of, cast better once they're broke in, and make the reel crank 10 times smoother!

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The reels sold at Rogers are all brand new, in the original box, no funny business at all.

I've bought 5 of the 7000C3's and they all work flawlessly. They're not the new 7000C3i or whatever the latest model is, but what do you really need the newest model for anyway? Their prices are about the same as Catfish Connection from what I've seen.

They make money by selling in volume. They've got an entire wall full of Abu reels in the boxes and move them through at a pretty high rate. I got my last 2 7000C3's last week for $94.99 each in the store. It's a lot more fun to buy in person, as the ladies behind the counter are friendly and very easy on the eyes...

Don't forget about the $15 rebate on the C3 models - you can download the rebate form from the Abu-Garcia web site. Limited to 1 rebate per person though.

The only thing that annoys me about the store is that they're closed on Sunday, which happens to be a day that lots of folks (like me) need to buy "stuff"... Gotta give them credit for sticking by their beliefs, though...

17. mospurs

mospurs New Member

State:
    missouri
    ROGERS IS FAMOUS FOR GOOD BUYS ON CLOSEOUTS

18. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Closeouts can be good or they can be bad....Just make sure the Company will have parts around for reels that have been "discontinued" by the manufacturer....I ran into that when I bought a 7580 Pflueger Contender Spinning reel....While it was on it's way, I read on a forum that the reels had been discontinued by Pflueger...Pflueger says they keep parts around for discontinued products for five years.....Dwight

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The good thing about the Abu baitcasters is that alot of the parts from one model reel are compatable or can be used for other reels. I've fixed or rebuilt and even built reels from scratch alot of reels and interchange parts alot to come up with some pretty cool reels. I've been able to use parts for some reels that were made 30 and even 40 years apart.

A good example is the line pawls, worm gears, worm gear covers, line leveler assembly, idler gears, etc. That's just the beauty of the ABUs!

20. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty the old 7000C3 reels are good workhorse reels.....But The 7000C3i's are a BIG improvement!!! I own several 7000c3's and have upgraded the drag in most of them to the super smoothie drag washers, this was the c3's downfall, the drag is on the weak side and not very smooth at all.

the 7000C3i have a better drag system, Better power handle, Better Bearings, tougher gears, and a harder coating on the level wind....worth every penny!