Abu factory reconditioned?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Douglas Foster, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I just received a Garcia 6600 Brute that I purchased off of E///. It was described as used, mint. It looks new, no complaints. The foot of the reel has an X scratched on it, which I believe indicates its been factory reconditioned. Am I right, and what exactly do they do when they factory recondition a reel? Thanks for the input, Doug

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Don't know about the x but factory reconditioned reels are reels that have been refurbished by Abu-trained reel technicians. New drag washers, worm gears, and pawls have been installed, as well as any other needed new parts, and the reels are then cleaned and lubricated.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That may be how the previos owner marked his reels in case they ever came up missing. I mark mine on the inside of the side plates with an engraver.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Does anyone know about how to upgrade the drag in the 6500? can you take the reel to basspro for this? I love the reel although the drag just isn't very smooth to me.......i have a 7000 and the drag is much better

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I just picked up a reel at the berkley factory and it had a little grinder mark or something on the bottom of the seat where you can't see it when it is on the rod. It doesn't really have to mean anything. Store returns and such are sold there too. I've seen stuff on ebay from there before. Mostly from NW Iowa or SD.

Bass, use the search thing on the page and search for "smoothie" or smoothdrag.com and you will find some posts on that exact subject. I did a couple it was 10-12$ each and basspro don't have the parts unless they order them from smoothdrag.

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    yep,abu puts an "X" on the foot of the reels that have been factory reconditioned,they replace parts that are needed,then clean and lubricated.i have two of the recon.that i have had for 6 years and they are still kicking,