ABU Dislikes

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ok all of us that have ABU's love theme but if you could change one thing about theme what would it be
    for me it would be the break knob i hate it being under the drag star its a pain in the butt to get to for me....:eek:oooh:

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i personally dont have any abus, but i agree about the brake knob being under the drag.. its hard to get to on any baitcaster... especially when you got fat fingers like me:smile2:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lower the price by 50% lol. thats all i would change. oh and stop the chinese models right now.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Sums it up pretty good for me! Thanks Jeremy!

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    For me the i models are no where near the reel the older models were. Too many cheap washers as well as twice the parts to deal with.....have any of you guy's tried the new Kinghawk 7000's? all metal with a metal handle knob!!! Everyone around here likes e'm, plus they are priced less than the i model.:smile2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jeremy on this.:wink:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I didn't know I had a problem with them,,, but, now that you mention it,,,,

I have been trainin' my Abu's to try and hook more fish,,,,I mean,, sometimes,, they just sit there,,

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really have no problems with my Pro Rockets, they do exactly what I need being a bank fisherman. I guess if I had to suggest one thing to improve, it would be the bait clicker could be louder. If they had the same clicker as my old Penn Squidders, they would be perfect.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, the only thing I really like about my 6500 is the smooth casting. It just doesn't perform for me like I feel a serious catfishing reel should; maybe I'm just expecting it to act like a 7000, but when a reel has trouble handling a 10# blue in swift water, to me, it's an ultralight.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would say their line capacity. Also the nut that holds the handle tends to strip. I had to send 2 Abu blue cats back last year. The seller said it must of have been a bad bactch...Sometimes when you try and engage the clicker you have to spin the handle a little to get to engaged...not sure if this is normal or not...

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    ABU are like Jeeps, nothing in em and need regular (yearly) maintenance.

I still have firends who used ABU from the 70's and 80's.

Take care of them and they will last awhile.
    Neglect them and ruin a good reel.:cool2:

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    brake knobs and price for me, but, adjusting the brake isn't something i do alot and , well, they last forever, so, i hate to say it, but price can be dealt with.

13. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
  14. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have a 6500C that I bought new in 1990 or 91, it is still in service and has handled cats up to 50lbs quite nicely. Never a problem. I do hate having the brake under the drag star.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Man I must not be doing something right.... I thought the thumb was the break on them reels....

Bayrunner Ray

16. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    How about a guarantee not to backlash? Well you asked! It doesn't happen often, but I hate losing 80 lb power pro line.

17. tazman7

tazman7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i really like mine. just wish i could use it more.haha

18. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ha that's why I own both...

I suppose the tension knob being under the drag star is a pain in the arse sometimes, but I rarely use it. With enough practice your thumb is all you need. The bait clicker on my Pro Rocket isn't nearly as loud as the one on my 6000 either...or maybe its a different tone...does make it easier to tell which is which in the dark though when one goes off.

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I never change the brake setting on mine,ain,t no fun without my thumb.Since we,re talking about changing anything you want,why just drop the price 50%,let,s drop it 90%,then i can buy every limited model they come out with.Take care of your equipment and it takes care of you.:eek:oooh:

20. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love Abu's but the only thing I would add is a button to let the spool freewheel. That way you dont have to mess with the drag. I know this will never happen, because of the way the reel is designed, but if we were wishing..........