Abu critics, 6000 v. 6500c & c3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MoHunt, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just getting started into this here catfishing and accumulating some equipment. I'm finding the 6000 model less expensive to buy; both on here and Ebay, than the 6500c and 6500c3. All made in Sweden, of course, and all used.

I have a like new 6000 and a 6500c3 sitting side by side, all spooled with braid waiting for 2 TWC rods; (BTW, Jeremy, where's my rods?) Just kidding. Anyways, both reels look identical; same line capacity, gear ratio of 5.3:1, same bait clicker; so what's the difference?

Is it simply because the 6000 isn't made anymore?

Looking forward to your sage advice.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The differences I can see, from looking at some schematics,, and, Not necessarily from the reels you have,,(exact model).
    but, it looks like to me the clicker's are different internally, the clicker switch on the 6000, may be a bit wider overall from the C3, if it is, the clicker mechanism is completely different internally. But, they both work..
    Also, the 6000 may not have IAR, instant anti reverse, clutch bearing. It looks like it has the anti reverse"Dog" that prevents the reversing of the reel.

You can tell fairly quickly, by reversing the handles, the C3 will stop instantly or close to that, the 6000 may roll back an 1/8 or so of a turn, and then stop.
    Again, both styles work..
    Depending on year,,etc, model, the 6000 might have bushing on the spool axle rather than bearings, but, more than likely it has bearings..
    Anyhow,, these are the main things I could tell..
    Greg

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I got a new 6000 and so far, I love it. I haven't casted anything larger than 1 oz, 1-1/2 oz, and 2 oz yet and I can already tell it's a hoss. Only used it twice. Mine has the bearings that Greg mentioned.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You will not see very much if any different in the two other then the price 6000 are a big department marked, Walmart etc. 59.00 mst of them and 52.00 on sale. I have used 8 of them for well over 4 years now. In that time i have boated well over 1,000 big in the 20 to 60 lb class. I have only had one go bad in that time and will be replacing all of them in the coming month to start the next season off.
    I like them because they are small hold about 100 to 150 or so yards of40lb test mono line, I can hold to reel in my hand and feel they slow bites better then the bigger reel. Plus 100 yards 300 feet of line do you really fish that deep. I fish 2' to at the most 70' less then half the line sees water. And as i said i have boated 5 fish over 60 lbs missed the state record by ozs a few times and never had any troubles with the reel.

5. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    my 6000 and 6500 are Identical on the inside and also I have the upgrade kit in mine as well it's like they are on steriod they are awsome the bigest thing with the 6000 is sometimes you can find a used one for around 20 to 30 bucks then get the upgrade kit for 80 and you got one bad reel

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If the clicker isnt of much importance to you go with the cheapest one. I found the 6500C3 brand new in Walmart for $79, I thought they only had 6600BCX but I saw a 6500C3 locked up at the counter in the glass and they have like 15 of them stashed for $79, guess they lowered the price to sell them all, I dont know

7. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, what quick response with good information. Which, BTW, why aincha' guys working to help pay my Social Security?

Greg, the 6000, which is like brand new, does have the instant anti-reverse. Bought off Ebay, came from a Florida pawn shop.

Tim & Ramon, I could buy new; (got 2 new Tigers wif 2 TWCs en route). Not bragging but I'm older than dirt (68), everything's paid off (house, 3 vehicles and 2 boats), been drawing SS since eligible and fixing to retire 3/31/10, but I like bargains on reels. Like the 6000 was goin on Ebay for $31...couldn't let that happen. Got it for a coupla bucks more. Had to pay shipping, but no sales tax...gots this thing bout' sales tax! Bought 4 offa this website; all great buys from good guys. A very good 6500 C3 for $45 shipped; other one a tad more. A 5600 C4 w/bait clicker like brand spanking new; had line spooled on, but never used.

Got my Ebay watch list going right now as I want to replace a 5000 with sumthin a little bigger, then I'll have 12 catfish rigs. Anybody got a 6000 or 6500 C or C3 they wanta part with?

Brian, wif me just starting out, think I need to do the upgrades? I may try em stock, then see. Is that $80 per reel for the upgrade?

Thanks guys, lots of good information. Note to self: Self, stop buying stuff and go fishin!

8. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    here is the a link for upgrade parts for the reels it's been awhile since I bought mine looks like they gone up 10 dollars now for the complete reel upgrade http://www.castawaylakes.com/AbuGarciaReelUpgrades.html
    but since you just starting out you don't have to upgrade them but my biggest thing was if I find them and something that was wrong with them and get them cheap buy the upgrade kit install it and repair what ever wrong to and still not have that much money in them and be a bad a** reel

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I own both, they are great reels.

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I did upgrades with my older c3's on the drag washers, the 6500's and 7000's. My 6000's I did upgrades with bearings and drag washers with the exception of one. I sent one back to abu, because the main drive gear was stuck on the shaft and I couldn't get it off. They replaced those parts, plus put the newer drags on, the v shape spool, and bearings, they now use on the c3's at no charge. This is one of the reasons I like abu, excellent customer service. Oh and the difference between the two, one has bearings (6500), one has bushings (6000). The 6500 has a little better clicker, as mentioned in other post. But then you can't go wrong with either one, they will both give you years of service. Just a little advice be careful buying reels (e-bay) that may be used in saltwater, (your coastal states). I did and had to replace some parts where salt had got to them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep,, IMO,, If the frames stay in good shape,, you can just keep on keepin them working,, and up grade as you go along, if something breaks or wears out..
    Drags, Gearing, Handles, Bearings, Worm gear upgrades..
    They're just a great reel for that.. and, they work nicely also.

The 6500 sideplates will go right on the 6000 frames, etc. and, If you have some of the older stuff, if you upgrade, you can bring it up to the more modern parts.

Anyone , notice the unusual configuration of this reel?? It's a bit different from what is available...

Attached Files:

12. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Couldn't resist! A brand new 6000 no/box was goin on Ebay for $39xx...now it's on it's way to me.

Snagged, are those custom camo side plates? Nice looking.

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yea its got the thumb bar and a push button never seen one of those and i have both 6000 and 6500c3 i see no difference in them i think the 6000 cast better than the 6500 imo

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I bought my pair of 6000 reels, I got two new ones as well off eBay for $38 each. I like them just as well as the 6500.

BB in SC

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    You got it!!! Good job.

I had the thumbar frame, and the camo sideplates that use the push button, so I just mixed it all up... NO good reason,, but, I do like the thumbar frames..
    Was just a fun one to build..

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks,
    They are Abu Garcia Sideplates,, They produced them like that for awhile..I picked them up off of ebay..early last year I think..