Abu Convert

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by xringer3, May 3, 2009.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you're looking for "cranking power" , I'd mount a warn or ramsey winch on my rod and save on the reeling, LMAO!!!!

2. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    ABU are the pretty boys, and they do cast nice. But when it comes to raw power the Penns will always come out on top. Made in the good ol USA as well. :big_smile:

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    congrats on learning thumb control! anyone can cast some of the others but when you can cast a Penn, you can cast!!
    unfortunately some Penns are made in china:sad2:
    however I am finally getting with the program and converting my arsenal to older (made in USA) Penns :wink:
    now if I can get the time to use them:embarassed:

4. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    Don't get me wrong I love my abu's. But for power cranking power it is Penn. Casting distance it is a abu. I wish penn are abu could create a reel that has great casting distance and good cranking power

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I pefer Abu's and still is a Abu Fan.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They did, it's called the 9000BG (big game). I took one apart and it was much beefier than my penn 320GTI and cranks the spoonbills in better than the Penn did. It also casts better than the 7000! It doesn't have brakes, and no where to put them. I don't think they were intended to be cast, but to be used more for trolling, but they cast like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!