Abu Casting Distance from Shore

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by StormCaster, Mar 31, 2006.

1. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have an old 6500 Rocket and it is perfect shape. Recently I picked up an Abu classic 6500 C3. Was wondering if the casting distances are similar to each other? I was thinking about pushing in two of the tabs for the brakes on the C3, but hestitant of it. I prefer the spools with the shoulders for thumbing, but those reels are just too big. Basically thinking about mounting it on the 7 foot quantum rod or maybe the 9 penn surf rod to cast 4 oz. lead.
    Thanks

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When you say push in the "tabs" do you mean the four little pins on the spool? If so just take off those little sliding "wieghts" that are on the pins. That's what I do with my 7000s. I don't cast 5oz of lead and a 2lb bait very far so I don't know if it helps max out on distance but it couldn't hurt right?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just my personal opinion, but anytime you try to improve upon what the manufacturer has produced, your gonna mess it up. Those reels are balanced, and engineers have done their part. I just don't think a cat man will be able to improve the reels. It's like women, God made them perfect - men has messed them up.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I say go for it. Whats it going to hurt? Worse thing that can happen is you see no improvement and it never casts again like it was new.
    As far as women being perfect. I say god made men perfect and women screwed us up. I have another line to insert there but I'll just keep this post clean.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    If you loosen the cast break knob all the way and tighten it just enough to keep the spool from moving back and forth you should get the same results as taking them out (max freespool). Removing the brakes shouldnt hurt the reel inless you tighten up the knob but loosining the knob should have the same results. I wouldnt bend them though If youre looking for a little more distance remove the levelwind.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of the big problems you're going to run into trying to cast long distances with the 6500 is the limited line capacity. To get any distance at all, you're going to have to use a small diameter braided superline. I currently have mine spooled with 18# diameter PowerPro, and that's still too big. I can cast about 3/4 of the line off the spool. I plan to respool it with 12# diameter PowerPro, which should mean that I'm only casting about half the line off with a long cast. Reaching the best spots from shore in my area require casts of 100 to 125 yards; casting from a boat isn't much better, because you can't take the boat any closer to the dam than 100 yards. Actually, the reel is just a bit too small for that purpose, but I haven't been able to get the reel I want yet.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I am just going to leave it alone for now on the C3 reel.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a good idea Ty. You will save yourself a bunch of backlashes and cut line. ;) lol

9. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    I would suggest you invest in ceramic bearings and the new levelwind that has two ball bearings instead of plastic bushings. i did the upgrade to my rocket and now it is a true ROCKET My cast are around 225 yds now and that baby humms up a storm when ya cast it out .:)