ABU Cardinal 800 Spinning reel series

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Growing in the mid 70's, there was only one spinning reel to buy, a Mitchell 300. I stopped fishing after college and recently picked it back up. Bought a new mitchell 300 x gold and it is a piece of JUNK.

For a new spinning reel, I'm considering the new Abu cardinal 804. I realize that this is mainly a baitcasting crowd, but I thought that I would see anyone had first hand experience. The Cardinal 807 might be a thought for big fish-250 yds of 17 #, although it's a bit pricey at $140.

Thanks-Fred

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Fred, the shimano reels are one of the best. the symetre is an excellent reel. i will give reviews on the stradic and stella soon:big_smile:

3. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks-I have heard that the shimanos were a top quality-may consider one down the raod. One thing I like about abu is that i can call toll-free if I have questions, need extra spools or other parts.

Does Shimano have a customer service department in the US.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There are plenty of us spinning fisherman I am also a Shimano fan. Although I do have some other brands I think overall the Shimanos excel. Sure some are a bit smoother others a bit better in this or that category but overall Shimano's are great. Although I am liking my new Daiwa Exceler is just so smooth didn't mean to contradict myself...lol... But seriously I did take a gander once at that model and almost bought it seemed pretty good to me. Must of the Abu Garcia fans will say that Abu won't put their name on junk. At least that is what I have heard. The 804 seems a bit small you should consider stepping up to the next size. Just my two cents though....:wink:

5. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree that the 804 would too small for catfish rig and the 807 would be the reel to use for cats. I want the 804 when casting for bluegills or bass-similar in size to my beloved mitchell 300.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I own a few of the cardinal reel's they are good reel's....But i think the shimano's are just a much better reel they are sooooo smooth they have a great drag system and need every little maintence... Can you tell i love shimano reel's:eek:oooh: