abu C3 help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by scooter079, Apr 19, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    can anyone tell me the difference between a C3 and a CL3 abu

and also can you tell me a place to go and figure out what the different initials are on reels

2. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i think the L in CL3 means left handed but im not 100 percent sure.

3. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    that would make sence but its not that cause i have one and its a righty

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The "L" is an exclusive designation for Walmart. Also, there are cosmetic differences, no titanium worm guide, and some other differences.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Left handed reels are all marked with a "1" in the number of the reel size.

For instance:
    6501c3
    7001c3

Don't quote me on this but, the "L" could be a designation for Low profile!

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've had two 6500 CL3 for over 10 years now, I bought them at Walmart on clearance, and caught alot of catfish on them. I know they cast further than a 6500 C3. I recently upgraded the drag system on them and put new handles on them. Other than that its all original, they are the same as the old 6500 C3's on the inside. I would have to say the CL3 has better bearings because of the way it cast. The ones I have are a silver matt finish with a gold spool and star drag. The handle paddles, thumb rest, and bait clicker button are dark grey, the C3's are light grey. The only place I saw these reels was at walmart, not sure if they make them any more. I know they still make the 6500 CL Big Game reels, black and chrome those are nice reels, and they cast to. I passed two of those on to my sons when I bought two records a few years ago. I saw a 6500 CL3 go for 70. on ebay a little over a month ago, and it was used in real good shape. The 6500 CL3 reels I have I will always keep, they are nice reels. The new 6500 C3's are nice reels with the up grades on the drag, spool, and finish.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ty is right. The only difference is cosmetic. Instead of silver with the black label, they used a chrome or silver label on them with different color accents. Other than that, they're all the same.