Abu Big Game 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SkiMax, May 30, 2007.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I'm thinking of purchasing an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Big Game 7000iHSN. Anybody got any info on it? Is it that much better than a 7000 C3? Any info would be much appreciated!!!

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know why anyone would want a 7000 with a lower line capacity except for maybe the lower gear ratio. For that matter, you can get a lower gear ratio set for a 6000 or 6500 and have the same thing.

The reel is as good as the regular 7000 I would think, just holds the same amount of like as the 6500. I've heard there were some problems with the narrow 7000s, but haven't heard anything specifically.

3. bigleroy

bigleroy New Member

State:
    wv
    The big game 10000 is the same price as the 7000 with alot more line capacity.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can only speak for the 7000c3. I have several and have never had a problem. Perform great.:lol::smile2:

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    That reel has the high gears. Supposely there were problems with the older ones, but these reels are completely different with the instant anti reverse and the big 6 pin braking system.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    More brakes? I thought you were supposed to take the brakes out! Just more stuff for me to remove and clutter my box!:crazy:

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The HSN model will only hold 210 yards of #17 mono. The HS model will hold 325 yards of #17 mono, which is the same as the 7000C3. Other than the gold color, the main advantage to the HS and HSN models, is they have a faster gear ratio of 5.3:1. I would recommend staying with the 7000C3 or the my favorite the 7000iCS Pro Rocket, unless you need the faster retrieve.

8. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I just saw today a abu 7000 it was green and on a large white surf rod around 10ft I think they wanted 70$ for it. It was used and at a pawn shop I noticed a slight delay for the reel to engauge when hit the release button is this normal and is it a good deal I never had my hands on one before.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The delay is normal as it's the same anti-reverse system as the older ambassadeurs before the instant anti reverse gear in the crank handle slot of the right endplate. I still use both reels and can't see a whole lot of difference in either as far as catfishing go. I never lost a fish on hook up because the reel didn't have "anti-reverse" gears.

As far as the price of the reel, you can get the reel brand new from Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty Mo. for 69.99. I don't know what kind of rod the reel you were talking about is on or how much it would be worth, but if the rod is in good shape, and the reel hasn't been abused, then I'd probably go with the one that already has the rod. Just have someone give the reel a good cleaning and lube job. Sounds like a good deal to me if it's in good shape.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would go with the 7000iC3 with more line capacity(325yds/17) and a lower ratio @ 4.1:1, compared to 5.3:1 on the big game....I don't understand why they consider the "7000" a big game when you can get an iC3 with more "Horsing" power....JMO....Dwight

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm with you! To me if it's for "Big Game" it's for bigger fish. Bigger fish means lower gear ratio for fighting the fish, as a general rule.

12. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I just got a 7000ic3 and it is the best reel I have ever used i must say. Plan on getting more of them, they are a great reel.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    David there should be no delay. My guess is someone tried to clean it and didn't put it back together correctly. I've been doing it for 8 yrs now and I sometimes have to take them back apart and put them back a couple times to get them to work like they did before cleaning lol. They fit together only one way. Every thing has to line up or you get problems. For 70 bucks I'd try to save a few more dollars and buy a new one. Or offer the guy 50 bucks for that model. The green reels are bushing ones I think, the low end model. Brand new they aren't much more than 50 or 60 I think. And I bet the pawn shop guy didn't give more than 30 bucks for that set up.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    s man, you're right about the bushings. They've got spool bushings, but there is a vearing on the crank handle, at least the B models I've torn down. I think though the hesitation he was talking about is the slight kick back (about 1/4 inch) of the reel handle to re-engage the anti-reverse dog clip. The new 7000i models have the instant anti-reverse bearing in the handle. These don't have any "kick-back" or delay in re-engagement.

The only thing you need to do to the B model to make it a C3 model, is take out the spool bushings and install bearings. I'm like you though, if he won't take 50.00 for it, then get one new, I've seen them for 69.99