Abu BG9000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SilverCross, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Does anyone have one of these and what do you think about them. It's said they weigh in at 21.5 onces and hold 20/320. The other 9000 is bigger and holds 20/420. I am trying to get some specks as to how big around they are and how wide. Dick

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    abu aka (john stokie) might have some info on that or h20 mellon. i have several ambass,'s but never handeled a big game reel from abu garcia. i bet abu will be able to give ya some info or a site to find it.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 7000 bg and it is a great reel...I am sure you wont go wrong with the 9000, or 10000 for that matter.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It's about the same size as the 7000. I seen one at Cablea's.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks guys for the comebacks on this. I'm getting a rod from Jim (Gator) Hudson and want a reel that is up to par with his rod. Way to much rod for one of my 6000's. I don't know if I'm going with a 9000 or a 7000, the 7000 is a few onces smaller but fighting a battle on which to get. Dick

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Cat hunter. I checked one out at catfish connection one day. They are about the same diameter as a 7000 but the are a little wider so as to accomadate the extra line. My guess would be around a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wider. They are a awesome looking reel. I would imagine , I have 3 7000s, that the 7000 will handle anything catfishing wise in the USA. Also the 7000 would probably balance better. Ask gator he could tell you which reel would look best on the rod.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks Bearcat, it isn't which one looks the best, but which one feels the best. You are totally right though, Jim would be the one to ask. Just wanted to see if anyone else had opinions abuot them. I am sure the 7000 will catch anything I am going to catch, but I guess we never know. Thanks again, Dick

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Well I ended up with two 7000c3 reels, seems I needed a spare one too. lol Dick

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You cant go wrong w/ an Abu 7000.

10. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I really like the abu 6600 rocket reel its smaller than a 7000 but that high speed retrieve comes in handy when fishing in thick wooded areas like lake Marion Sc .

11. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello Cat Hunter
    I have both 7000C and BG9000. The reels are the same width across. The spool is wider on the 7000 and deeper on the 9000. The diameter of the 7000 is 2.75" and 3.25" on the 9000. The 9000 is noticeably heavier. Main reason i wanted one was because of the trick looking gold color on the 9 compared to the brushed aluminum on the 7C. I like the difference because it helps my old mind keep straight on which bait is on which rod. Both have excellant LOUD clickers which which is why I prefer them over the 65's. As posted above the 65's are great reels and mine have handled any flatheads I have caught. Have never spooled a 6500 either so that has not been a problem. Have yet to try out the 9000 because I just got it a month ago. But I love the way the big cranks on the 7000 and 9000 feels. You feel alot of confidence when u hook up with a big flatty on that 7. So much so I have parked my smaller Abus in favor of the bigger reels for flatheadin. Have also recently added a GTI310 to my arsenal to try. Thank you for your time.