Abu bg 9000 fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cumberlandcat, Jul 1, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone know about a knock off abu BG 9000. I found some that are really cheap and make up my mind between them and the tica. I found them everywhere else for 139 bucks but this place has got them for 75 bucks. Is this a good deal or does abu make a knock off I should be watching out for?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It sounds like a good deal.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Buyer Beware.....If Abu recommended retail is $149, then $95 is too cheap....You have to understand, that Abu makes reels for other companies...Check the #'s on the reel foot and call Abu Garcia's 800 #...They'll tell you the history behind the reels.....Remember, if it sounds like it's "to good to be true" it probably is....I'll bet one has a ser# on the reel foot, but the cheaper one don't....

My "cheap" $69 BG7000HSN Gold, I purchased from Rodger's in Mo doesn't have a # on the reel foot....Remember also, that all of Abu's 7-10000 reels are made in China....If you want a large line capacity of 325yds of 17# test, get a 7000iC3 for $119.99 @ Cabela's.....Also look at the gear ratio of the BG's...Hope this helps...Dwight

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cheap knock offs. If you buy one that's just what you get,a cheap knock off that's NOT worth your money in the long run. However all of the reels are made cheap now days even the top of the line ABU' & Penns. If you really want a good reel go with a vintage ABU and rebuild it if need be. You will have a much better reel and they will last a life time if kept cleaned & oiled.

I have over 50 vintage ABU's now and wouldn't trade any of them for a new ABU in the box. Due to the fact that the new reels are made with very cheap parts that don't hold up as well. I set out to get my hands on as many vintage abu's as I could because I feared the day I would have to fish with the poorly made crap they sale these days.

Buy the real deal,buy vintage ABU's

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks I will check these out a little better.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I Own several of the "cheap" 9000's and I got several 7000 HSN, and 9000 BG.

I have not had any trouble with them, nor have I had any complaints about them. It is my thinking tha even IF they are knockoffs, 2 of them will last as long as one full price one. BTW, I just checked mine. I have a 7000 HSN new in the box with no serial # but an ABU Box and manual etc.... My 9000's are the same way. Once again, I have had no issues with them. Incidentally they are assembled in Taiwan.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I don't have any issues with these reels....They're not 7000iC3's, but they're good/decent reels.....I'm satisfied with my BG7000HSN, but wouldn't put it up against my 7000iC3, or even think about it....But for $69 it makes a good reel....I don't consider anything in this old world "worth it's money" unless I'm "satisfied" with the product/price paid for the product.....Dwight

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well thats kinda how I am lookin at it for 69 bucks verses 120 to 140 bucks you really can't beat it. So I will probably go for the knock offs. Thanks again for the info.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I need to "clarify" something....I said all 7-10000's are made in China, that's not true....Abu Garcia has all their "top of the line 7-10000's" made in China....My BG7000HSN is a cheaper grade of reel and is made in Taiwan....You'll find that the "Taiwan" reels don't have #'s on the reel foot and are a cheaper grade reel than the "China" reels....Just thought I'd clarify that....Dwight

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oh yea well ill put my pflueger contender against any of your abus:tounge_out:

11. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Well, now I'm confused. I have a gold BG7000HS that I ebayed about a year ago. Has the box, instructions, brakes, oil, all of that. There is not a number on the reel foot, just a sticker that says made in Taiwan. Are you telling me this is NOT an Abu Garcia reel? What about my red Wally World 7000? I think it's the same, no number. Are these not genuine Abu Garcia's? Doug

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't worry about your reel. Some are assembled in China, some are assembled in Taiwan. The gears are all made by ABU in Sweden. About the only difference is weather there is a number on the bottom of the reel foot and were it was put together.

I haven't had a lick of trouble out of my 9000BG and have landed quite a few spoonbills, some pretty good size, with it. I even upgraded it by taking the nylon bushing off of the crank shaft under the handle and installed a bearing and washers. It's now a C3. Two spool bearings and a crank bearing. Cost of reel was 70.00 and bearing and washers abot 3.50.

If it says ABU GARCIA, it is one. Just get the one you get the best price on, and go out and enjoy the hell out of it!

13. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Thanks xringer3, that's what I thought. I was concerned there were some true counterfeit reels floating around. I've seen knock off shoes and handbags and designer clothes. I hope it never happens to my favorite fishing reels.

I think ABU should send each of us a complete but disassembled reel in a box. We could put them together and then slap on a Made in America sticker! I'd paint one side cover blue with stars and the other side cover with 13 red and white stripes. Every time I caught a catfish with it I'd hold the fish over my head and shout "God Bless America!"

Happy Independence Day, Brothers and Sisters.

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Douglas,

Like xringer says, it's an Abu Garcia, just not Made in Sweden or China...Let me try to explain it....They have all their "big" reels 7-10000's made outside of sweden....Their top of the line reels, like their 7000iC3's and Big Game saltwater reels are made in China....Here's the page:

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k...om-/dimg/80bed708306d1c31701e786fb524b5aa.gif

Now, Abu Garcia will build any Abu Garcia reel that will be profitable for them and won't harm their name....For example....The BG7000HSN is a reel built as a "cheaper" version than the above Big Game...No instant anti-reverse and so on....They are made in Taiwan...For what reason Abu Garcia chose Taiwan probably had to do with a "dollar"....But they make all kind of reels for all kind of consumers....

Comparison: The reels you see on the abu site above have (i)instant Anti-reverse, three bearings and "could be call iC3's, but are built for saltwater/Heavy freshwater for an average price of $149 retail....The BG7000HSN doesn't have the IAR and is a Big Game 7000 (H)High (S)Speed (N)Narrow spool reel with an average price of around $70 retail....

You can have confidence in your BG7000HSN reel being an Abu Garcia, approved by Abu Garcia and Abu Garcia honoring the warranty that came with the reel......So ease your mind and don't listen to those people that says the word's "knockoff", because they're not, they're just a cheaper "version" of the BG reels, designed by Abu Garcia engineers.....Hope this helps...Dwight

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Or do like I've started doing now. I just get the parts when I can find them different places, and when I get enough, I build a complete reel myself and get it how I want. AND IT'S MADE IN AMERICA!!!!!

Only problem is I've got too many now, LOL.

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can you ever have too many? Just let me know how many you want me to take off your hands!LOL:big_smile:

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is kinda funny how easy a new hobby can take over, but seriously I'm starting to get a little over run by them. I might have to start selling some of them. If I do, I'll post them on here with pictures of them. Alot of them end up being different than what you can get on the store shelves, but tested in the field. Just tried two more new ones I built last night, one with factory drag washers, and the other with smoothies. There IS a huge difference in those! That's gonna be all I put in them from now on.

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am stickin to the abu's and after all this talk about which ones are crap and which ones aren't I think I am going to say they are better than the rest so I will continue you spend all my money on them.

19. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    cumberlandcat,

I think I will to....I kinda like em myself....Dwight

20. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 9000 does not have any centrifugal brake controls.

Many of Abu reels are made outside of Sweden with the higher end international reels made in Sweden.