Abu BCX. Dose anyone have any experience with these?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jnagel, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I'm looking at buying a pair of abu bcx reels to match up with the tangling with catfish rods i'm ordering. I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with them i'm new to baitcasters and this will be my first set of them, i just dont want to invest in anything thats gonna crap out after a year. Thanks yall.

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i have one and its not the worst reel i have ever bought but i wont buy another. it doesnt have the torque to pull in big fish. i had trouble bringing in a 10lber.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you're wanting that size of reel, then my recommendation would be to go ahead and get a 6500 C3 or similar model.
    Some folks have had good experience w/ the BCX, others, throw them in the lake..
    But, IMO, they're not a "lifetime" reel.....but, will work in certain applications.

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wouldn't buy one. Personally if I were in the market for a cheaper set of baitcasting reels, I would go the Ming Yang route. They are GREAT reels for the money, will catch any (if not more) fish than an Abu (they do have more line capacity), and have no plastic parts. I have one and definetely will purchase more in the future!

edit- If you are a "brand name" only person, then by all means get a Swedish made abu like the C3, not a BCX...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    They will not hold up, I still can't believe abu even put that reel out. You can get the 6000 for the same price and it will last you a life time. Save your pennies and get the 6500 C3, you won't be disappointed. Its abu all the way with me. :big_smile:

6. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I knew i should ask some catmen before i even thought about buying a set of reels. I'm just replacing my old beat up zebcos which have served me well for some nice "investment tackle"... Honestly the only thing that drew me to the bcx was the fact the it was a baitcaster and the red matched the poles i ordered:smile2: I'm not a brand name person i'm just tryin to set up a solid rig that will last and not spend a foutune. Thanks agian for the help.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jake like Mike said you can get a 6000 for the same $ and they will last a life time then some

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    The 6000 abu is red, and is a good starter reel for baitcasters. Just make sure its the regular 6000 not the bcx. Let us know what you get.

9. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had a BCX and it lasted a week before the thumb button started sticking and then the level wind quit working, I took it back and got a 6500C3, you could get a Penn 209 for about the same price as a BCX

10. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I'm gonna stop by bluff city and check out what they got, from what i've heard i'm gonna look into the 6500 C3. My next step is gonna be trying to decide what brand of braid i should get:confused2:, i'm thinking about 30 or 50 lb test.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im an Abu Guy all the way, but a few friends of mine have the Shakespere Arsenal reels and the seem to hold up to big fish and are really cheap. Around 45 bucks. If your gonna go with Abu ive seen some ads for the trophy collection 6500 C4s for arond 75.00. There pretty cool. Power handles and the extra bearing!

12. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    I have a BCX and mine must be the 1 in a million, cause i havnt had problems with mine at all and has held up fairly well without any glitches or problems.

13. justinvaughttattoos

justinvaughttattoos New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i was gonna get a bcx.... but ended up going with the 6600 c4... definitely glad i went with it, i was stuck deciding between the 6500 c3 and the 6600 c4.... read some reviews and chose the c4, haven't had a chance to get it wet though, it's sitting on an ugly stick tiger with a 80 lb power pro braid...

14. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with most others that the old style 6000 or 6500 would be a better choice.As for line,if you are inexperienced with flinging baitcasters don't start with braid but with mono about 20 lb. test.
    Jake