ABU anti-reverse repair

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by GMC FishHauler, May 14, 2008.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have an Abu Six and the antireverese and drag is out of it. I was wondering if anyone on here can gimme directions on how to repair or even what is wrong?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you need a bearing, and a sleeve. the bearing is located in the left sideplate where the shaft passes through. all you have to do is place the sideplate on a suitable surface so it does'nt get scratched and drive the bearing out with a punch or even a socket similar in size. gently drive the new one in, and replace the drum sleeve on the shaft.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if it's not that version. it will have an anti reverse dog that slides on the base of the main shaft. here's a schematic. it appears yours has the latter version. it's just a little dog clutch with brass spring like ears on it to make it grip the wheel. take it apart, and if the clutch isnt broken, clean it and squeeze the ears together to make it fit really tight. it should do fine..http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/sche...sadeur,%20Cardinal/Ambassadeur 6 89-0.pdf
    the 13372 is the clutch.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if the drag washers are smoked it will do the same thing. except it wont even reel in. if thats the case replace the drag washers. the #'s are 10271, and 15094. I buy a lot of stuff from e-bay. if you dont know what your looking at in the pictures. ask the seller the factory part numbers. If they know them they'll usually post it in the description.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    sorry it took so long to get back, but i got that reel workin almost like new.
    The dog was off of its gear, and the drag had some gunk on it.
    I still need new drag washers, but overall not a bad deal for what i paid for the reel.
    A guy on the fishing dock said he was about to toss it in the lake since it wont work for him, i offered him $5 to take it off of his hands and now have a good working reel.

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'd like to thank both James and Mark for this thread. By following along, I was able to repair the antireverse on my Abu 5. BTW, the part for the antireverse is 13372.

-- Rich

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like them deals. I've picked up a couple of reels like that. feels great to spend 5 or 10 bucks on a nice reel and repair it for a couple of dollars. Or even FREE ! lol