Abu 9000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by archer1914, Jun 4, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    does it cast very well and compared to what the best reference I would have is abu 6000 and record 60 of my friends and I have a quantum ex500 baitcaster how does it rate with ease of casting with these if any one could tell me it would be much apreciated

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got 6000s and several 7000s and had them for years. I had a Penn 320GTI for holding heavy line for snagging paddlefish for quite awhile. I just got a 9000BG for snagging just for the "hell-of-it". It holds ALOT of heavy line, like the Penn.

The first thing I noticed was how easy it casts compared to the Penn and will cast really far. It seemed to cast better and farther than my 7000s even with 30 and 40lb test line! I fell in love with the reel as soon as I started using it. I tore it down to see about replacing the stainless spool bearings with ceramic bearings and discovered that it's not just a larger 7000. It's got a much thicker spool shaft. This reel's got alot of meat in it! I also discovered that there are no brakes on the spool, that's why it would cast so far. You can still adjust the tension on the spool with the spool tension knob, so I haven't had backlash problems.

If you want a reel that holds alot of heavy line so you can cast long distances like bank fishing, you can't go wrong. By the way, I got my 9000BG from a place on the internet our of Liberty Mo. called Rogers Sporting Goods. They've got them on sale for 69.00. With shipping I think it was around 75.00 and arrived in three days.

You won't go wrong with it, should last a lifetime and will reel in any catfish it hangs in to.

3. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the help with the price that they are offering thats why I was wondering but was little cautious of just going after it

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I threw caution to the wind, and was damn glad I did!LOL

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the info on the 9000. I learned a few thing I did not know about this model.:lol::big_smile: