Abu 9000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Arkansascatman777, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I run across a deal on a 14 ft. fenwick rod and reel combo for $50. I didnt pay much attention to the reel until I was back at the house. The letters are kind of faded but the best I can tell it says its an ABU 9000. Does anyone know anything about this reel ? I would like to know about the line capacity 1. If you used the new spider wire would it hold 1000 feet + of line and if so what pound test would I have to go to ? I would like to use this rig to beach ball below the dams Ive never done this type of fishing But would like to try it. Thanks for any help. 777

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Well i am not sure how much line it holds but I am sure someone can help u out i do know that it does hold a lot of line I know for a fact that it can hold about 1000 feet of 20lb mono but I am not sure above that I am sure someone a littl more educated than me will help u out its just what i have read I am only 13 but I wish u luck on finding someone that will help u out and $50 aint bad.

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Sounds like you got a realy nice rig there johnny the 9000 line capacity is

20/340 25/290 30/225 thats #/yrds, seems if you use superline in 203 diameter it wil give you over 1000 ft. I am not sure what beach baling is mabe you could post some thing I would like to hear about it.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL BOC GATHERING

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sounds like a really nice deal! I would like to hear about the beach ball thing too. Is it a giant bobber? What a sight that must be to see something pull that under!

5. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    William, Brother thanks for the info that will save me alot of money on trial and error. The 20lb. would be to small so I will need to go with the 203 diameter I havent used any of this new type of line so Im not sure what pound test that will be.
    Ive not tried this type of fishing but I know people that do and they catch alot of big fish. Basically its jug fishing with the jug attached to your rod and reel. I mostly fish in Oklahoma and the closest you can get to the dams is about 1000 feet. People I know that do this use a 4 foot beach ball with either a net around it or they make their own net out of twine. off of this net they attach a swivel. Then they make a long leader with a weight on one end up to 4 or 5 drop hooks in the middle then before tying on the swivel on the other end run the line through the swivel on the beach ball then they tie the swivel on and basically use this swivel for a stop to set the depth they are fishing. Then they bait the hooks with as big of a bait as they can find and usually prefer live bait. They position the boat to where the back current from the generators or sometimes if conditions are right the wind will push or float the beach ball all the way up to the gates on the dam. every 20 to 30 feet of line they will attach little pieces of foam to their line to help keep it afloat. This sounds like alot of work but Ive seen some whoppers caught this way just never had a reel big enough to try it. Thanks again 777

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Sounds like your describing Kerr-or webbers falls..I've ran balls for years...don't set your drop over 8 ft deep it will hang up at both those dams and take a supply of small round floats and clip one on your line every 20 yards it will keep your line from sinking and getting hung up you can use your 9000 but you really need an ocean penn or okuma for maximum distance those big cats are in the locks and right in front of them...I have seen a 22 inch beach ball go under and shoot up in the air!!!!man i am wanting to go:big_smile: :big_smile:

7. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Big Sam, Thanks for the info I didnt know it was that shallow you saved me some tackle Thats where I do most of my fishing but I mainly fish in Kerr Lake. Can you give me some tips on how you rigged up for this type of fishing ? Thanks 777

8. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    If I remember right 75 lb. Power Pro is about the same diameter as 20 lb. mono. I just took some off one of my abu's that had been on there for 5 years. It was still in great shape, and cast great. Only thing I didn't like about it was it was impossible to break if I got snagged up in the river. Just had to cut the line. It also cast a little different than mono. Kind of jumps off the reel. I got the hang of it in just a few casts. I put mono under it on the spool to keep it from slipping. Don't know if you will NEED to do this or not. Others here may be able to help on that. Hope this helps, have a good one, Chuck.

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Chuck Thanks for the info Ill be usind probably 40# ande for the leaders I may have to back the boat up but it will break 777