Abu 7000's from Rogers sporting goods

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyjake, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A few months back several of us ordered Abu 7000's and 9000's from Rogers sporting goods.I chose to order a 9000 instead of 7000.Were these 7000's equipped with bushings or bearings? If they had bushings I would trade my 9000 for one of the 7000's.I do some saltwater fishing and bushings are easier to deal with in the salt environment.I left my new 9000 home when going on a trip to Florida recently and stuck with the old Penn's.
    Jake

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Take that 7000 and don't be afraid to use it in salt water. Rinse it off after every use. I learned from another post to use distilled water as its better. I have been using 7000 size reels for 7 years on the coast and in fresh water with no problems. Catfishjon

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    About 25 years ago I took my then favorite reel,an Abu 5000 c that had a clicker to the ocean and both bearings seized up after two weeks so would rather stick with bushings for saltwater as they require less care.I always give both rod and reel a freshwater bath after they have been used in saltwater.
    Jake

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I bought one of the 7000B's from them on thEbay for $70. It has bushings. I don't want to trade because I really like the green color, but I just checked and they are still selling them for $69.99. Doug

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 7000B that is being sold by Rodgers still has one bearing. It's on the handle crank shaft. That's what makes it the "B" model. It still has bushings on the spool shaft though.

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    May go ahead and order the one from Rogers.Is there any model of the 7000
    that has no bearings?
    Jake

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The standard "red" 7000 has no bearings, all bushings. You can also easily change out any bearing for bushings. I've got several handle crank bushings laying around from converting reels to C3s if ya want one.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ever think that was 25 years ago? Grades of ball bearings and reel designs have come a long ways. Take the 700i it's going to be a lot better then a bushing reel.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    In the world of catfishing I see no real need for bearings, a bushing reel will handle anything a bearing one will, with the exception of fishing some place where you need to get every possible foot of distance on a cast. Bushing reels fit my needs well and leave some money in my pockets to go fishing with. :wink: When someone asks me what would be a good baitcaster to learn on I recommend a bushing ABU. The reason is a bushing reel is a bit stiff when brand new, the person and the reel get broken in at the same time. :smile2: