Abu 7000LD v. Penn 320GT2 v. Penn 209 v. Quantum Cabo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KatKaller, Mar 15, 2007.

1. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here is my PERSONAL review on these four reels. While some may argue that you can't compare these reels because of the high variance in price, I say you can. All the reels have similar specs and we all use these reels. An example came to mind when I wrote this up, what if your states rod/reel limit is 6 rods and you already have 5 and need 1 more, well, if you got a little left over Christmas money burning a hole in your pocket then this might be just what you need. BTW, sorry for the weird formatting, this is the best I could do with the BOC's format. (and some of the words look like there's spaces when there shouldn't be.

...........................Ratio......Capacity..........Weight(oz.)#Bearings...Price (what I paid)

Abu 7000LD.........4.0:1.....325yd/17lb.........20.2........ .....4............$90
    Penn 320GT2........4.3-1....320yd/20lb.........19.5..............4............$85
    Penn 209.............2.8-1.....320yd/20lb..........19................0............$40
    Quantum Cabo
    CLW20PTs...........4.1:1....400yd/17 lb.........19.1..............5............$135

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best)

.......................Power....Smoothness....Castability.....Aesthetics......Value
    ..................................casting/reeling
    Abu 7000LD........9..............10................10..................9............. ...9
    Penn 320GT2......9................8.................8...................7................8
    Penn 209............9...............6..................6..................1...............10
    Quantum Cabo
    CLW20PTs...........9...............9.................9..................8................6

Abu 7000LD

I am an Abu fan and always have been, and this reel only makes it worse. I hated to see this model go in '07. The LD is much smoother than the other Abu Big Game because it has 4 bearings instead of 2. Having the lever drag also enables you to add a variable amount if tension to the clicker in those heavy current situations. It looks like a big game reel too with it's gold finish just like those Penn Internationals.

Penn 320GT2

This is a nice big beefy reel. One of the dislikes I have of this reel is it seems too bulky for it's capacity, by far the largest. Casting is fairly good with what most people consider a trolling or jigging reel. Likes; two words: Penn Quality. That is what makes this reel a good value.

Penn 209

Make no mistake about it this reel is all about function. No if's, and's, or BLING. Although the low gear ratio gives this reels all of it's guts, the 2.8 ratio makes a job out of any long distance cast. Even though this reel is rough around the edges it will most likely be in the collection a long time because of basic simple design, AND parts are easy to find and cheap.

Quantum Cabo CLW20PTs

The Cabo is one solid reel, and it feels like it is one big piece in your hand. Even though it boasts the highest line capacity out of the group it's similar in frame to the Abu 7000LD. Casting long distances is no problem for this reel and there's plenty of power to spare too. Even though Quantum thought of nearly everything on this high dollar reel, the one thing they did forget was a counter balance on the nice big handle, which would make reeling in those long cast feel more balanced.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Prices are a bit low, but the review is great. Thanks.

3. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Like I said, that's what I paid, most came from Ebay, all were new.:big_smile: With a little searching you can find those prices. I never pay MSRP.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Allen Thanks for the review. You did a great job. I too am a ABU man. :big_smile:

5. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Thanks for the review Allen, good information.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the reviews....I'm an Abu fan also, but like to try different reels to see what I like best....I like the 7000iC3 reel the best, but like the 6500iC3's also....My Pflueger Trion 66 has been played with quite a few times, also.....Dwight