ABU 7000i

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Jul 1, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    just traded for one. never had a 7000 before. just wandered if they are good reels. thanks

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are a good reel...The 7000I I believe has bushings instead of spool bearings.

But it should do ya good!

I had a 7000B once that also had bushings, I could not even notice the difference.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I have a 7000ic3 and its the best I have ever owned.I got it for a fathers day present.they are expencive.but I have always wanted one thanks to my daughters

4. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Okay,

This is my second post about the 7000I tonight, so I'm gonna copy n paste the advice I gave in the other thread:smile2::smile2:.

My advice is to take the 7000I and simply upgrade the bushings to bearings. I did the same thing about a month ago and it is SUPER easy. There are two bushings in the 7000I, one on each side of the reel in the crome scewable end-caps (the ones you use to adjust the brakes). Simple remove the end-caps, hold the reel on its side, pop out the bushings, and insert the bearings. Be careful not to lose the holding-pin on the left side.

As for bearings, you can go with ceramics, hybrid ceramics, stainless, or plain old chrome. For price and performance I chose the stainless, shielded (which are covered on both sides and require minimal maintenance). The size for the 7000I is 3 x 10 x 4. Below is a website to order them from. They cost me $3.95 each.

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/mercha...de=bearings&Category_Code=AbuGarcia&offset=60

In all, a $10 upgrade (including shipping) basically turns a 7000I into a 7000 ICS. Only you save the $70 price difference from buying it in the store. My reel now casts smooth and far with bearings. I had the opportunity to use it once before my bearings came and I notice a difference after putting them it. Just my recommendation

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great Post. Thats the way to do it !!! :big_smile:

6. Francachela

Francachela New Member

State:
    BOLIVIA
    I got the 7000iC3, but I prefer left hand retrieve, so I traded for a 7001i, the cast or the iC3 is better, but once added a couple bearings to the spool shaft the distance was equaled..... a good cleaning and relubeb cannot hurt either.... i wish there were more models in left hand retrieve. Get a spare worm shaft and pawl just in case..... you never know when this suckers will fail.....

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post boys... going to check it out.... got the left hand model 7001 i.....does the same bearings work for it?

Bayrunner Ray

8. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It should. The only difference I would expect is the right side to have the lock-pin on top of the bushing instead of the right. You'll know exactly what I mean when you take the cap off. It's only a little circular wire that holds the bushing in place. Once you replace the bushing with a bearing, just put the lock-pin back on top of the bearing and you're ready to roll.

PM me if you have any questions.

9. Francachela

Francachela New Member

State:
    BOLIVIA
    Yep, same bearings.... 3X4X10 I got japan made SKF bearings, $5.50 each; a good oiled and ready to go......

10. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    THANKS, WILL ORDER BEARINGS ALWAYS WANTED A 7000:smile2:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I just got a 7000i for fathers day and love it. I lubed the bushings with Teflon grease and see no problem with the bushings. I have a 7000ics pro rocket and the 7000i on matching poles, line and sinker weight and notice very little difference in the two reels.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I have a bushing one and a bearing one and the bushing one is much faster. I used to think it would suck to have bushings but that is not so. I guess they should have heavier oil on the bushings than I do.