Abu 7000 level wind sticking

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by brad kilpatrick, Feb 27, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My abu 7000's levelwind keeps getting stuck on one side of the spool. Does anyone know how to remedy this prob????

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your pawl is worn down or you have a chip in the worm gear on one end. take out the worm gear, clean it off real good and look really close at the point on the grooves that are cut. if it has a chip replace it and the pawl. these chips can be microscopic and hard to see sometimes but thats all it takes to make it act up. you can try a pawl first and see, or try to get a small, very thin shim to put under pawl-cap. i have the same problem out of my 6500's about every 2-3 years. those worm gears for the 7000's run about $18 here locally, pawls are around $4.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Yep Dink It was the worm gear didn't even have to take it apart. Guess I'll get to ordering a new worm gear and for $4 more I guess I'll replace the pawl as well. Thanks

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had the same thing happened last year with a 7000 that was only 2 years old..I threw it in the trash and bought another..Yea I know, kinda stupid:confused:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Worm gears and pawls are generally available for the abu's (and some other reels) at your local Academy Sporting Goods store, probably at Bass Pro's also, if you can stand to put a bass part into your catfish reels. lol

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Good move Jack....LOL