ABU 7000 IC3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jan 22, 2010.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Those of you that know me know that I am a PENN reel guy, it just so happens that my little trip to Bass Pro today I ran into this 7000 IC3 and actually liked it. My question is how far up the ABU scale does this reel rate? Is there any known flaws?

And for those of you that know me..............NO im not a ABU guy now.....just testing different waters so to speak. LOL!

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    It is ok if you are a Penn Man...... I use em for the ocean.... but for the cattin and levelwinds...

I have the 7001....left handed..... and it works great.....

I am right handed... and like to crank left... and lift and fight with the right arm....

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    They hold plenty of line, they cast well (up to 30lb mono.), drags are ok, did upgrades with mine, they feel solid when you hook into a big fish. Abu has excellent customer service, parts easy to get, simple maintenance, and they will last you a life time. Steve I'm an abu man, never have owned a penn, but then I've heard alot of good things about penn.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    you will never regret it Steve i have Penns too but love the Abu that 7000 is a awsome reel bro and parts are easy to get take care of it and its like a penn it will last your life time and your grand kids too

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Congrats!!!
    You got the Cadillac IMO,,I have a few of them!!!
    I like their features, and function.
    Spool them up with your line of choice, and enjoy!!

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yes I do agree!! Take it frrom Greg,, He can build the ABU to its max if you want it hot-rodded . I have the iCS7000 Pro Rocket and it super nice, smooth strong drag and a good caster as well. You won't go wrong with it Steve.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Steve I too am a Penn guy. It is my favorite company hands down. But the first time I held a 7000IC3 at Academy I fell in love with how smooth it was and I like the size. Since then I have bought a 7000i and a 6500C3 and I have no regrets whatsoever, they are 2 of my go to and favorite reels. If you are trying to try something different I would definetly recommend the 7000IC3 or the 7000i they have loud clickers, strong drags, good line capacity and cast very far. And I havent done it to mine yet but if you want them tricked out Kenny(Flamekeeper) is right Greg is the man to get with. The Penn 320GT2 is still my favorite reel but the 7000IC3 is right there. You own some of the same gear I have and If I had to rate them by strength (drag, clicker, line capacity) fresh out the box then 1st-309, 2nd 320GT2, 3rd Okuma 450L, 4th 7000IC3, now for straight versatility as far as the strength factor and you add in castability and the option to upgrade then the 320 and 7000IC3 are the top 2. I think you should get a 7000 series to add to your Flattie arsenal you will not be dissappointed and its not too bulky to use on Blues, Channels or Stripers. The 7000 is an all species reel minus panfish lol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    You will just love it and I don't care what ya been using, after about 15 years you'll look at it and wonder how long ya had it and it hasn't even coughed, and ya lost count of the hogs ya caught with it, 7000's are GREAT

9. Jludtke

Jludtke New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve you will like the performance of the 7000 IC3 when you hook into a big fish. These are the only reels I use anymore for blue fishin. I like the drag and clicker system and the power handle is a big plus. I have 7000 IC3's that I have been using for many years. The only thing I do is oil them each winter. Great investment for a great reel!

10. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Here's a couple pics of them side by side. I have since put the 7000i on an American Spirit Nitestick which is more sturdier and stiffer, the reel casts alot further now too. I will be ordering another TWC Rod though and blessing the Abu with that beautiful Rod.

Attached Files:

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    To be quite honest, everyone has pretty much summed it up. It's probably the best compromise in terms of size, quality, durability and price.

It'll hold 325 yards of 14lb, 270yds of 20lb, 200 yards of 30lb, and 150yds of 50lb line (mono). It'll cast with the best of them for distance (with the proper line) and you can crank the drag down and yank flatheads out of heavy cover with them.

It's also very popular for musky and striper fishing, with bait and artificials (those musky guys WILL NOT use a reel that isn't a casting machine). If it'll hold up to long term musky fishing with HEAVY lures, then you're not going to wear it out casting for cats.

Minimal maintence and you'll hand it down to your grandkids. Unlike the other Abu reels, it's got a clicker than actually works and will hold a bait in some current. :laugh1:

And it'll do it for under $150 (depends on where you shop). Not much more you can ask for.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well I went with steve to get the reel and I feel like a 10 year old now, lol I'm kinda jealous!! I want one too mommy!! LMAO!

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Pres you shouldnt have lol, you know that damned reel is addictive once you hold it and turn the reel. I'm happy with my 7000i but I still want that 7000IC3. My ol lady aint havin it though lol. I do have a brand new spare CL70 laying around collecting dust, I guess I could sell it and get another 7000 or I could order another TWC Rod and slap the Ming on there....hmmmm decisions decisions

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

yeah my wifey ain't lettin me get one either especially since I'm going to order some twc rods. I think I'm gonna stick with my 6500C3's, I was lookin at those ming yang reels you were talking about in the other post. how would you compare them to the abu's?

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Steve, thats for the post!!! I have been open minded about reels and have been doing some serious searching, studying, and compairing. The Abu 7000 IC3 has been one of my potential choices for a new reel. I think that this post has helped me to finalize my decision. And thank you to all that have responded to Steve's post! Abu 7000, here I come...

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Well here it is....I know yall like pictures.....I ended up pairing it with a PENN POWERSTICK with a very light tip and a hell of alot of backbone, have not casted it yet but hope it will cast fine even with the soft tip.....Will let yall know what I think of it this weekend but right now I think I will enjoy this setup!

Oh yeah.. it's 65# power pro spooled up......probably around 275-300 yds.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
  18. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Congrats. on your purchase Steve you won't be disappointed, once you get your casting knobs and weights setup you will have a reel that cast. Oh and welcome to the side of us abu boys.... :cowboy:

19. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to be an Abu fan back in the day , never have liked or will like Penn reels.

Once I found the Shimano calcutta reels many year ago , I sold or gave away almost all my Abu's , only kept a few 6500c3's for channel cats. Going from a Penn to Abu is like going from a Yugo to a chevy , its still not top of the line , but its better than what you had.
    Going from Abu to Shimano is like chevy to Porsche , there is no comparing the two. Specially since most Abu's are made in China and not the older Swedish versions.....sad world we live in now.

Now I have Calcutta 700's in the older CT model , the B model and the CTE...even have a few of the real gems the Calcutta Conquest , only sold on the Japanese market. The North American market for Shimano and Daiwa are sad compared to the japanese versions.

To each is own I guess , its all in what your looking to get out of it !

Scott

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  20. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Don't know what model PENN reel you were using but I would trade the 15 or whatever ball bearings in a shimano for the pure cranking power of a PENN any day of the week! You being a flathead maniac should know the importance of cranking power when fishing big flatties in super heavy cover.

Not dogging shimano but I could care less about how "smooth" a reel can get and more about what it takes to get the job done IMHO but I fish some nasty snaggs. My cousin uses those calcuttas and they are nice smooth reels but they are not for me.