abu 6600cl rocket

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 2quikmotorwerks, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    anybody use this reel? what r your thoughts on it? also what upgrades are availible for it id like to change the side plates and such also would like to add the second cast controll

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I bought a refurbished one. I am using it for parts. The higher gear ratio stinks unless you're using really light stuff. The thumb bar won't work if you have too much sinker on the line. I think it's for bass fishin. If you want more cast control, you want magnets or mess with the little weights on the spool. It isn't a real "rocket" like the chrome one or the blue yonder. It's just one they made for walmart.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009

3. cathunter47

cathunter47 New Member

State:
    wy
    I like the thumb bar reels but although I have a couple rockets I don't use them for cats because of the high gear ratio. I prefer the 6600 EXT with its solid frame and 4.7:1 ratio.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    One of my favorite 6xxx series reels is a Thumbar style, Brute 6600, I converted to IAR, and it has the 6.3 ratio,, I Really like the high speed retrieve, but, I don't try and horse fish in with the reel, I mostly use the rod....I run 30# mono on it, works great for me.