Abu 6600C4

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by matt626, Jul 24, 2006.

1. matt626

matt626 New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, Sout
    I have abu 6600C4
    I was just wondering why most of you use the 6500C3

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    1. It came out first?
    2. It's less exspensive?

That's my two guesses.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cheaper, picked up a 6500C3 over the weekend brand new for $45. I like cheap, works for me.

4. matt626

matt626 New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, Sout
    It was only $10 more than the 6500C3 at bass pro shop at the time
    I see that some people don't like the thumb bar and the high gear ratio
    What is your opinions on them
    I don't have one with a thumb bar so I don't know the difference
    I like the high gear ratio it helps with not getting hung up

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The 6500C3 has a gear ratio of 5.3:1 and the 6600C4 has a 6.3:1. The lower gear ratio of the 6500C3 is a bit better suited to fighting larger fish. Thats my reasoning, well that and I got a deal on my 6500C3.:smile2:

6. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The higher 6.3:1 gears will create more stresses on the reel under heavy resistance (big sinkers and big fish) therefore they tend to burn out faster than the 5.3:1 gears.

7. matt626

matt626 New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, Sout
    Well thats a good raison
    How big of a fish are we talking about
    My biggest cat was only around 8lb I don't plan on catching much more than that But if one happens to bite I would have a fight on my hands because I only have 14lb line

what do you think about the thumb bars

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a C4 6600. I love it. I'm fairly confident in it's being able to handle a pretty big fish, after all it is still an Abu. I got mine for two reasons. One I really like the thumb bar for casting, and two I like the way it looks. I know that isn't very important, but I wanted a blue reel so I got one. Poor logic maybe but I still love the reel. If I ever burn the gears out in maybe I'll get an aftermarket set of lower ratio, but don't see anything wrong with it.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am targeting flats from 20-50lbs.

I have no need for a thumb bar never have used it. My thumb stays on the spool when reeling in or casting.

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    IMO for the type fishing I do, the 6500 c-3 with the 5:3:1 gears, gets the nod. I never know when an 80-90 pounder will inhale my offering. I need to use a rod with good backbone, good line,and a reel with good power. There are others of course, and it's all a matter of opinion, but for me the 6500 C-3 is a hard reel to beat day in, and day out. Good fishin', Jack.

11. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matt, for most catfishing applications the gear ratio is rather insignificant. The higher gears will wear out quicker than the lower gears, but there are a ton of variables that influence how long they will actually last. I would say in your case (smaller fish and lighter line), you'll probably never run into a situation where you'll be negatively affected by a 6.3:1 gear ratio. Chances are, you probably won't even be able to tell a difference at all. Most people can't.

The difference in gear ratios and longevity really comes into play when dealing with big fish (30lb. plus), heavy sinkers 5 oz. and up, and lots of hours on the water. Repeatedly cranking in big fish and sinkers against current creates alot of torque on the high speed gears and they will wear down faster. Very few guys actually fall into this category. But just to be on the safe side many of us opt for the lower gear ratio.

The thumb bars are really just a personal choice. I prefer a thumb bar just because I like being able to disengage and control the spool with my thumb. The side button can become a two-handed job with live bait and big sinkers.

12. matt626

matt626 New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, Sout
    Thanks for all the replies
    If 80 to 90lb fish inhales what Im offern he can have it or
    he would have to pull me in becuse my not let go of my rod and reel