Abu 6600BCX

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, Jan 28, 2009.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was looking at the Abu's in the new Catfish Connection catalog, and was wondering why the 6600BCX is only $44.99. The specs seem fine to me. I am not sure if the stainless bearings being German made is of any significance. I see the reel is made in China, which is of no significance to me. Other than these two points, what am I missing. Thanks.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was looking at one in the store the other day, and it looked a lot different than other Abu 6xxx series reels. In the past, all off these reels were pretty much the result of reel "lego", the same basic parts put together in different combinations. The BCX is different, at a minimum the visible parts are of a lower quality finish. It was in a plastic clamshell, so I didn't get to handle it.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are indeed cheaper but also cheaper made in my opinion. I looked at a BCX in Walmart. Was a combo on a berkley rod for like 77 bux. First one i picked off the shelf the level wind didn't work.:confused2: I eased on over to the locked cabnet and got a 65ooC for 84 bux. Personally i think i made the right choice.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they seem cheep their is a plastic like shield around the spool to keep the line out of the sides witch are thinner with a likeable color but the plastic in the place of tight tolarance CHEEEEEP and a definate turnoff for this buyer.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    PURE JUNK!!! Get a 6500 c3 or a 6600c4. Just a few more dollars and way better quality.

6. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    the only thing I don't like on the 6600c4 is the plastic clicker, it needs to be metal.

7. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I got to play around with one a few days ago. I'd put a BCX on a stick and give it to a baby as a rattle. :smile2:

Anyways, It was really loose. It rattled. It felt like a toy when I turned the handle and made a squeaky sound like a hamster running on a wheel. I tapped the side plate and it sounded hollow. Not all that comforting.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Thanks for starting this post, I've had a couple & after spooling line on them [which was a pain, no room] I sold e'm both, they both made a hideous noise when casting! Also I checked out the % of these returned for facktory reconditioning...YIKES! For sure go with the older models or 6600C4's or something, I'm glad I wasn't the guinea pig deending on these to fish with.:eek:oooh:

9. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I saw one of these for the first time today at walmart, just like everyone has already said, it looked and felt really CHEAP... i have an older 6000, and i would highly recommend it.

Marshall

10. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    The 6600BCX would work for channels. For about the same price you can get a 6000 off of ebay and it will work a thousand times better. Right now on Eb@y they have 6500C3 buy it now for 34 dollars. So shipping and everything it will not be no more than 43 dollars.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I don't think they are that bad of a reel. I've got both blues and flateads up to 40lbs on them Just b/cc they don't "look" expensive don't let them fool you. Now I will say this, the Abu 6000 does seem to be a more quality fish.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the german made ones is the only ones i will ever have the uthers have the cheap plastic i think its worth the extra dollers it may take longer to save for one but you will have it a life time

13. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The bearings are on the spool shaft outside of the spool. Everytime ive had a abu apart the bearings are inside of the spool. I dont want one.