Abu 6600BCX Review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatFuStyle, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Bought a 6600BCX about a month ago and finally got to try it out this weekend, didnt catch anything but was able to cast it and get the feel for the reel, seems to be a pretty good real, it is my first abu and so far so good, havnt taken it apart to look inside yet, but all in all seems like its going to be a good reel.

2. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have one of these, I bought it at Wal-mart... I wasnt sure at first when I decided to buy one. So I just dove in and bought one without much research! I am not disappointed, I am actually impressed... I read how some are made in China, some are better because of the "innards"... I bought mine end of last season, I fished a few times with it, not sure what to expect cause I havent caught anything on it!. However, at the end of last fishing season at Raccoon Lake (Indiana) I hooked a 4 foot long tree branch about the diameter of a softball... and the reel brought it in just fine with ease. Nothing bad happened, the reel still works, and I fished with it yesterday and it casts and reels, and works just fine! So, regardless of being Chinese, the reel still says Abu Garcia, and I believe it will work just as well as the Swedish ones!

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Jim, just watch the brass gears after lugging in logs and things. I've had to change the main gears in a few of my 6600CBs. Not the reel's fault, my fault for dragging in logs and other stuff and putting them through the abuse I have for the last 4 years:smile2: Brass is only so hard and it will wear under enough pressure:wink:

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Thank you for the valuable info, I would much rather destroy a brass gear reeling in a "hog" catfish if I get lucky enough to find one rather than a log!

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I believe it will work just as well as the Swedish ones![/quote]

Heck, even Finn-Nors are being made in China now. Only time will tell if this is a bad thing.:roll_eyes:

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    have had mine for 3 yrs now and there still working good and 2 yrs ago i got a 54lb flattie on mine while fishing live bluegill for channel cats 20lb test and the drag set right and was a fight ill never forget an awsome reel love mine

7. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Here in kansas they "had" 6 abu 6600 rod reel combos between the 3 walmarts in my area. I kept going in and lookin em over and decided that at 60 for the reel alone 70 was a steel for 10 extra ya get a abu 7ft med hvy rod that'll work for ANY fish I'll hook. I just baught 5 out of 6 and the only reason i didn't get the 6th is it was already sold. Drivin 25 miles wed. to pick up one more. I've caught 40lb flatheads in the outlets and i'm not afraid to fight a 60-70lb one IN the reseviors here. I'm only using these rods for tourneys so they'll always look great and I'm sure last a long time.

THERE IS NOTHING PRETTIER THAN A BRIGHT RED ABU - WITH THE CLICKER GOIN OFF - EXCEPT WHAT'S AT THE END OF THE LINE!!!!!!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I looked at one in wally world a few months ago and the one i picked up, the level wind wouldn't work. That scared me off and i went with the 6500C. I've never used a BCX and honestly don't know if they'll hold up or not.