Abu 6600 Drag Problem

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by BKS72, Jun 23, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got a 6600 with a drag that doesn't drag all the time. I got the new carbon-fiber drag washers for all my reels, but this one works on and off. It did it before the upgrade, but I thought the new washers might help. I've taken it apart a couple of times and double checked that I didn't get any oil on the washers, double checked the exploded views (and side by side with a disassembled working reel) to make sure I didn't put anything in wrong or leave anything out and I can't find anything wrong with it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Branden

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    brandon,
    I had the same problem with one of mine and a young man came along and told me to change the fishing line and I did and it fixed mine:wink:
    I had spider wire on mine and changed to mono and that took care of the problem.
    hope this helps

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thank you, I may try that. I'm running PowerPro on it now, maybe it is the line. Thanks again!

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    PowerPro is a good line and shouldn cause any problem.I guess its trial and error.good luck

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    There is a tremendous difference in the friction between the reel spool arbor and the line when you talk about monofilament and the newer super lines like Power Pro. If the reel spool does not have a knurl pattern on it the super-lines will not get a good hold and will slip on the spool. Monofilament won't do that.

This is easy to check. Just pull till the line slips and see if the spool is moving or not. If it is moving, drag problems. If it is not moving the line is slipping.

To fix the line slipping problem you can put some mono line on the spool before you load up the super-line. The mono will grip the shaft and solve the problem. You can also take some plastic electrical tape, cut it the width to fit on the spool arbor and put a single wrap around the arbor. The tape will stick to the spool and will also grip the line well enough to solve the problem.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey Cornhusker, you'r a genius! (or I'm even dumber than I realized :smile2:) I was out last night and got to looking at that reel I posted about per your suggestion. I've disassembled and checked it 3 or 4 times but I never paid any attention to the spool, but sure enough, the line is rolling around the spool. I've used PowerPro on all my reels for the last 2 years, but usually either back them with some mono or put a couple wraps of vinyl tape in the spool to give them some traction. I think this must be one I've put tape on and the tape has given way. Anyway, thank you!

Branden

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    stolib, glad I could help.

Now you are going to love this. Last night I was in the garage changing line on a spinning rig I'm putting together for my 6 year old grandson. I had some super line on but didn't like it so I was changing to Spider Wire. I had a heck of a time getting the line spooled and when I tried to set the drag it was impossible to get any drag. The line just came shooting off that spool.

Rather than remove the the old line I just put on the spare spool.:embarassed: Yep, you got it. I failed to put any tape on the spare spool which has never been used. Now I can take all that line off and do it right. How dumb can I get? LOL