ABU 6500CS CHROME ROCKETS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mandingo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    I recently bought a nice set of rods from THE ROD SHOP and i am wanting to put some equally nice reels on them.i have really been looking hard at abu's 6500cs chrome rockets.does anyone own any or have any feedback on them?from everything i have read on them,they are a smooth casting and really durable.thanks for any info on them.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <from everything i have read on them,they are a smooth casting and really durable.thanks for any info on them.>
    I haven't personally had one, but like you read, from everything I have heard about them, they are da bomb! Go for it. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you.
    BB in SC

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I recommend you at least take a look at the Penn 209, Jigmaster, and especially the Squidder. Even Squidders, which are not manufactured anymore, can be had off of Ebay for far less that the Abu... There are other newer model Penn's that people on this board like as well, like the 310 and the 320, but the reels above are the ones I use and really like to fish with... If you want to spend about 2/3 of what the Chrome Rocket would cost, the Penn Senator 114 is a fantastic reel...

Good luck with whatever you choose!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Go with the Cadillac and buy the Chrome Rocket! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain promoting Penns. :smile2: See my last reply in the "[​IMG] abu garcia reels for catfish" thread.
    BB in SC

5. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    What are you trying to do with your rig. I once considered getting into competition casting rigs. The chrome rocket came up in my research. If I remember correctly the chrome rocket does not have a levelwind on it. I could be wrong but that was a desired feature in competition. I want to fish and a reel without a level wind would be a downside for my applications.

I went with the abu record 60 high capicity model. I have 2 and love them both. With an 8' uglystick I get what i want done. The record 60 runs about 159.00 each. ABU has a 15.00 rebate on them, apply for a bass pro credit card or similar and get 10% off your purchase or wait till on sale you can get the price down close to 100.00.

If the rocket has the levelwind there is no reason not to buy it other than money. I found some custom ones that were tricked out for about 350.00 when i was hunting them after googling surf casting competition awhile back. im sure they still have them

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The Chrome Rocket does have a levelwind, and the best price I could find for the 6500 CS was 209.00 plus shipping. You can buy a 114 Senator/Penn Slammer rod combo at BPS for 150.00 or so... reel alone for 110.00 or so at several sources...

And the man behind the curtain says if you are buying with your brain, the Penns are the answer, but if you are buying with your heart, and you love the Abu, buy it... (couldn't come up with a line to cover courage.):smile2:

and here's another tip from the Wizard: don't wear your ruby slippers fishing!

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm an owner of a Chrome Rocket CS made by Abu Garcia. My info is short and simple. It's awesome! By far the best reel I have ever owned. This reel is smooth and darn durable. Looks awesome and will cast a 1 oz. weight a least 70 to 80 yards with ease using a 7'6" Black and Blue Custom rod. That's in my hands, not someone else's. Could be alot more casting distance with someone more experienced. Never tried heavier weights for casting distance. Anyhow I bought my Chrome Rocket for $165.95 w/0 tax from Catfish Connection catalog. Check them out! Great company for all your catfishing needs.

hope this helps!!:big_smile::wink:
    Mark.

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I had been looking at them for a long time, before I bought one earlier this year. I have mine on a 8' catfish safari flathead rod. Just about everyone who sees it wants to get one. I paid 165.95 plus shipping (about 12.00 dollars) from catfish connection, they also sent me rebate coupon. The rebate paid for the shipping cost. The 6500cs chrome rocket is a nice solid reel that will cast. It is a little heavier (about 3 oz.) because of the materails used to make it, not really a problem for catfishing. You won't be disappointed, and you will be the envy of everyone when you bring it out.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There you have it. Comprehensive reports from two happy, well pleased Chrome Rocket owners! Think I'll buy two for my next reel purchase. I have six Abu Garcias now, but am shooting for fourteen.
    Bill in SC

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have 2 of the ABU 6500CS Chrome Rocket Reels and all I can say is they are SWEET! :cool2: You will not be disappointed! :wink:

11. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks to everyone for the replys.i think my mind is made up.i already have 4 penn reels,quantam irons,3-7000s,3-6500c3s and so on and so on.these rods and reels are going to be for drifting the lakes we fish here in ks.ive already told myself that no blood drifting is gonna be done with these combos:smile2: i have searched all over for pricing,and CC seems to be the best bet so far.there are ALOT of places that sell them online in which all their prices are in euro.the price is a lil cheaper going that way until you go to add in S&H!:crazy:

12. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    greetings,

if you have a choice buy American, Japanese or Swedish in that order. I think most Penns are Chinese now. The only bad thing about the rocket is the weight which is unimportant in catfishing situations since you're not going to be walking the dog or fluttering spoons through the weeds. Ambassadeur records roll but rockets and sport mags are a different breed. you won't regret buying one i promise. The only reels more enjoyable start with Team.

regards,
    m.a.d.

13. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    One of my fishing buddy has one, he still likes his BlackCat from catfish connection better.

14. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    is the black cat a 7000?

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The Black Cat is a 6500.

16. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    my first cat reel ever was a penn,and i have owned many since then.they are damn good reels ......when they work.3 of them now are sitting on a shelf in my garage broke while im looking for someone to fix them.ive been loyal to abu's for some time now and never had any major problems with them that i could'nt fix.i know they are a bit more pricey,but you get what you pay for.also i have told myself that these ruby slippers will washed and waxed after every use and no mud will be stepped in with them:smile2: