Abu 6500CL big game question?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dmat, Jan 29, 2007.

1. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe
    I noticed catfish connection has the new Abu 6500 Big Game reels in their catalog. After browsing though it the first time, I looked again and noticed in the picture that on the left side plate it appears to have a clicker switch that is similar to the 7000s.

Does anyone own this reel yet? Is the clicker similar in strength/resistance to the 7000? Reason I'm asking is because I fish with circle hooks with the reel in freespool and the clicker on, and the clicker on regular 6500 C3s and C4s usually doesn't have enough to withstand the current I normally fish. Note: I don't like loosening the drag and using the clicker with the drive engaged (lost too many fish screwing with the drag after a bite). I'm hoping the big game might be the answer to my one lone, and frequent gripe about the 6500?!?

I have 7000s, but in most cases they're a little overkill for 5-15 pound PA channel cats. A 6500 with a strong clicker would be just what the doctor ordered!!!

Thanks!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Denny,And Welcome aboard the BOC. Glad Your here.I have had the same issues when fishing the Missouri River here in Iowa,the Big MO.runs 5/7 mph. this is what I do when useing my 6500c3s.first I went to a larger sinker to hold the bait on the bottom,then I went to braided line which had a smaller diaminter(less resistance) then I tighented up the spool adjustment on the spool (the round knob),You know the one on the handle side of the reel that adjusts the spool tention.that way you can have your reel in freespool with the clicker on and and it will hold without running line off the reel.and when I hook up on a fish I just back the spool tentioner knob back off a turn or two.This helped solve the Problem for Me.Your New Friend and Brother. J.D.
    :0a26:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Denny, I think u should stick with the 6500's the 7000's is and overkill.

4. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe
    Thanks for the welcome JD and CJ...I've been reading this forum for a couple of years, but finally decided to join!!!

JD, I already use all the tricks you mentioned (tightening the spool adjustment, more weight, braided line). However, sometimes it still isn't enough! I guess I should have mentioned I primarily fish from shore, so that compounds the pull of the current even more. I set my rods high off the water, almost vertical, to try to keep as much line out of the water as possible, but many times the current still catches it and drags my bait out of position. Because I'm using braided line and vertical rod placement with circle hooks I'm kind of forced to use freespool with the clicker so there is at least some give when a nice sized cat whacks my bait. The biggest weight sinkers (flat bank) I usually use are 5oz, any more than that and I can't cast effectively without using a pool cue for a rod. I'd like to still feel the fish fight and not just reel them in! Also, the bottom is pretty rocky where I typically fish (Susquehanna River), so it's not like the sinkers can sink into any mud to stay put. I really hate loosing all those weights I put my time and effort into making!

I was just wondering that if the redesigned clicker switch on the big game reel used the same strength springs as the older design 6500s, or if they beefed them up to 7000 strength. Since nobody around me seems to carry the reels, I don't want to make a $100 mistake! I could always retrofit/modify to get the 7000 springs on there, but I wanted to be sure before I bought the reel. Abu doesn't have the schematics posted on their website yet either:(

Thanks again!

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that the new, 6500's are better, they have the new carbon drag and such, but the price have gone up. So I will study it real good before I would buy.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    There have always been places where it actually takes pounds of weight to fish for fairly small to large fish.Many fish favor eddies and calm places in strong currents which bring them their food.It often takes heavy gear to get your bait to the fish,and heavy gear to fight a small fish and a heavy current.If you can afford it,use what ever it takes.Many who consider themselves experts severely limit themselves and their catch by using the so called proper outfit for the proper size fish.They chose to ignore conditions and often fish as they see on TV.This is great,and we all can learn much this way.Always remember that the experts that you are watching often take days to sometimes weeks to make that 30 minute to one hour show.Also,they are hired to get you to buy gear first and catch fish second.Ultra lite gear,miles of sandy bottom and a boat to follow your fish does happen.Stuck in a position where a 4/0 to 6/0 rig is necessary to get to the bottom and fish for a 5 pound Cat is often reality.You can go fish where your gear is adequate.You can acquire the gear you need for the job.You can remain at your fishing spot with your outfit and continue to be dissatisfied.A small lever drag reel such as the ones made by Shimano and Penn can some times be adjusted for such as this.Now I want all of you people to really think about what I am going to say next.Has anyone else noticed how WE usually use the terms over kill for anything larger than what WE use,and under kill for anything smaller than what WE use?Now this is great,if WE have used this equipment.If not,well WE are then admitting a very high opinion of our judgment about something that WE have no experience with.There is nothing wrong with having a great opinion about something that you know nothing about.That is OUR right.Using it when it could possibly hinder someone searching for help is not.I am stating this because I started to make this mistake in this thread.I did not see this mistake in anyone else's or I would not have posted about it.MY intentions were good,but I could have been misleading to someone needing help and never know it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You said it Peewee.

If you are trying something and it doesn't work, try something else. The fish will tell you what they want. I use everything from 4' 6" ultralight to 12' heavy to 15' medium heavy action rods. The weights I use vary from nothing to 12 oz. Hook sizes vary from #8 to 7/0. And all of this is just for catfish. Different sizes of cats, different fishing conditions.

I am not an expert at all and I have learned a lot on this site (you can always depends on Peewee's advice too). Everyone has a favorite, but that is usually determined on what conditions they learned to fish in. My dad fished mostly for bass, but would also catch "anything that swims". Since I grew up that way, I used a very wide variety of gear and learned that every set-up has it's place.

8. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe
    PeeWee,

I did not start this thread to begin an argument about the merits of what kinds of tackle are overkill for everyone. I asked a simple question about the strength of a clicker on a particular model of reel. I'm not telling you what you anyone else should use, I'm asking if a piece of tackle will help with what I like to do.

I've fished this particular spot for about the last 10 years. I started off with spinning tackle, I moved up to baitcasters, I started using circle hooks and braided line, I started using more weight. I catch plenty of fish with what I'm using now, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone knew anything about the new reel. I really feel comfortable with the size of the 6500, but my one problem has been with the strength of the clicker...nothing more. Could I use heavier tackle, yes. Do I want to decrease my experience that much, no. It's all personal preference.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I never thought that you meant anything different than your post. was out of place and never thought of it.I am a old fisherman.I and many others that I have seen and discussed it with in my life have wasted many valuable years fighting things simply because we were adverse to change.I have always been a "Hard Way"learner.I hope my experience can help someone else as I am not trying to tell someone else how to do it,just what I have seen.I wish we had the BOC in my earlier time.I would have experimented with a lot more things to learn if they worked for me.Many people are now fishing with large and small sized reels that were ridiculed by most in my day.They are still ridiculed by many.I believe this is wrong,if for no other reason that it may be all they have or can use.I have gotten quite a few remarks about fishing for Bluegill and Bullheads with large ocean type Spinning and trolling gear at times in a strictly bottom fishing deal.You would think that I am fishing for 100 pound Grouper off the bank in a Creek.They are usually embarrassed when they realize that I am crippled up and have to fish this way at times as I often can not feel with my hands.I can operate the great big by sight.Yea!Even I can operate a ultra lite at times,if everything is going great!I started to give a opinion comment about a ABU 7000 strictly on seeing it used and talking to others.I have done it before and later felt that I was wrong.I don;t think it is right as I have never owned or used one.I have no Idea whether these people abused them or not.I really do not know if they were right or wrong,just as we often don;t on here.I have once fished with 5 lbs.of weight to get it down in the North Atlantic to a frequent use of a Test tube cork set 4 inches above a short #6 hook with a cricket,no weight,for bream feeding in the shallows in black water in the early spring.I have also used multiple 5 gal.fire fighting foam containers for floats for large Shark.Yea!I know.I went right back to doing it.Please forgive me.These memories come to me like this,when people talk of things and I go to rambling.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.