Abu 6500c3 V.S. Penn 230

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kat buster, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    OK I have narrowed it down to either the abu garica 6500c3 or the penn GTO 230. Does any body have any info or advise. I will be using braided line and fishing for channel and big flat head.
    OH and does the penn gto 230 have a bait clicker?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Do you mean the 220 gto Penn?
    I'm not familar with the 230.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the 230 is the same as the 220 just bigger and yes they have a verry loud clicker. Id say the 230 would be too big espesally with braid and pulling part time catfish duty the 6500 would probally be too small for big flathead hunting especally in heavy current the 220 gto would probally be a little better choice than the 230 gto.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kat Buster,
    Why don't you go to pennreels.com,and you can probably get all of your questions about the Penn Reel answered. I have 2 of the Abu Garcia 6500 C3 reels,but I don't know anything about the Penn Reels.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The Penn 220 is a very good reel, for the money I'd say the best buy you can make right now. It is all stainless construction and I'm very happy with the ones I have. I target Big fish every time I fish but if I was mainly after channel cats the 6500 would be my preferance.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The 6500C3 is an excellent reel. Smooth casting, good drag, great line capacity. It will have the edge on the Penn in smoothness and casting distance, though either reel is good. The 6500 will take big fish on the proper rod and handle them with ease. I'd be willing to tackle anything up to 100 lbs with mine. Its a great reel for both blues and channels, can't go wrong with either, though.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    The 6500 is a very good reel I have 3 of them along with several other abus. I wouldn't be scared of using it on any of the fish that I target. Dont know much about the penn because all i own are abus.

Wheelmobile07

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get the Abu 6500, they is a very good brand.

9. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The Abu 6500 series will hold 300+ yards of 30 or 40 pound braid. That should be plenty of line. They upgraded the drag washers on the new Abu's so the drag system should be ultra reliable for the heavier braid. I upgraded all my old 6501's with carbon fiber drags and they are smooth as butter. My vote is for the abu garcia.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I guess id agree with that the carbon drags suppose to have 30% more holding power. I would NOT put a plain jane 6000 against any fish though i cought a 20# blue, in heavy current, last year that worked my 6000 over. my buddie had a fish go up stream and break him off in open water using a 7000 and a tiger rod and 40-50# andie. so if your lucky or good at telling stories its possable to catch 100# plus cat on a zebco 33 and 12# mono. BUT not all fish are created equal.:wink:

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fishing in the wide open lake with not much current, and using 3 ounce weights I love my Abu 6000s and 6500's. Fishing a River with current and snags, and using more then a 5 ounce weight I will always use a Penn. I have went through many Abu reels, but I have not had one of my Penns break yet, besides one I bought used off ebay that was in bad condition already when I recieved it.

The Abu's are much smoother, a little more fun to use, but I just would not trust anything less then a 7000 for targeting big fish anywhere that you have to apply a lot of pressure to them. I have a Penn 320gt, and it's the best reel I have ever used, cast a mile also.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Go With The Abu 6500c3.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Abu Garcia 6501 C3 power lift with the right hand and crank with the left... Got three of them.

bayrunner ray

14. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info every one! Oh and does the abu have a bait clicker and how easy is the penn to cast? thank you!:big_smile:

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, I know Abu 6000 and up has baitclickers, I think even the small 5500 does?

Penn is a lot harder to cast, but for me, after a lot of practice I was able to reach farther distances with them then most of my Abu's. They will backlash more, and it's more of a Manual type thing, where an Abu doesn't require as much skill, the brakes are a lot different.

16. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    cant go wrong with a 6500 ot 7000

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Shurely you arent calling your new 320gt hard to cast. my new 220gto is a pretty smoth operator and Id immagine the 320gt would be a little smoother. Id say imo the GTO is a good casting reel.

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have 40# test on mine and can cast them as far as I need to.:cool2:

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    What? I said, the Penns take more practice, including the 320gt, but I also said I can cast them better now then my Abu's.

20. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I think imma have to purchase me a penn too. Seems like people love them both so maybe i will too.

Wheelmobile07