Abu 6500C3 Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BlueZeus, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Everyone, I have a simple question. I'm new to using a baitcaster with a designated clicker and anyway I just purchased a 6500c3 with clicker. The question is once I cast out do I simply turn on the free spool by depressing the button on my right and slide the clicker switch to the on position. I noticed the spool will spin freely and the click sounds. Is this the coreect way of operating this system. I purchased the reel used. I used to own a 5500 baitcaster without a designated clicker so I'm a little new to this style. Thanks to any and all that respond. Bill

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yes, that's the way most use the clicker feature when catfishing. The clicker will alert you when you get a run and will keep the spool from overrunning - usually. In catfishing it's not an issue. Fish aren't moving that fast when they hit.

Be sure and turn it off when you cast.

/Scott

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just got a 6600 c3 and thats the way i think my works also its alot different than the spinning reels im use to but with time I will get the hang of it.

4. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I appreciate the quick response guys. I should be able to set my 6500 abu up on a rod somewhere in the 7ft long area. I'm leaning toward the ugly stick cat fish series. Hopefully this will act as a nice rig for years to come.:)

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    6500c3 on a 7ft. ugly stick catfish rod is what I use. I have landed a 32# flat (from a boat) with the rod doubled hard and had no probs or worries. Yes, the clicker works just as described. Just a note, flip the clicker on first then put it free spool as to avoid the minor over run of line. It aint a big problem but it annoys me when I do it opposite.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I prefer to leave the reel engaged and loosen the drag. I can better adjust the amount of tension it takes to remove line from the spool that way. I use circle hooks and feel like there has to be at least some resistance for a proper hookset. I'm not sure that the resistance of the clicker alone is enough. When I get a run, I grab the pole, apply pressure to the spool with my thumb, and start tightening the drag as I apply pressure to the fish with the rod. It works for me...

Try different things and see what works best for you.

7. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I truly appreciate the information. This site is great, there is so much information and topics covered. This web site is by far #1 in my book. There is alot of great fellow caters from around this country sharing years of experience in this number 1 sport. Thanks again to all.

P.S. I am not sure how or which link to go on for one of the BOC base ball caps. This is one sharp cap that I can't wait to purchase and wear proudly. If anyone can tell me how to go about landing one I'd love to buy one and wear proudly while at the Lake. Thanks Again to all for the information and the welcome to BOC.
    Bill

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Quick question on this method doesnt it wear out the washers faster when you do this? I havnt caught anything of good size with mine yet so I dont have enought experience with this. I have 2 6500C3's both on Uglies 7ft one is Medium the other is Med/Heavy.

9. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    you are right gofish there is not enough tension from the clicker. when i have a run and pick up my pole all i do is hit the crank to engage while letting the fish take the tip of my pole to the water and set the hook. i have tried it the way you do it, but to many times i havent held spool enough and out come the line fish gone.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ryang, it takes a lot of fishing to wear out the washers on your drag. Most damaged drag washers come from not backing your drag all the way off when you are not using the reel. Its the constant pressure that takes the tension out.

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=246 try looking here !

12. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    I am with gofish. I turn the crank to engage the anti-reverse. At that point I will also take up slack and adjust my string tension, then adjust my drag and last set clicker to on. Oh ya, then wait.

13. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Welcome to the BOC. There is a great amount of information to learn and friends to meet here.