ABU 6500C3 or ABU 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by brinley45cal, Dec 25, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ok so ive narrowed my choices to either a Abu 6500C3 or an ABU 7000.
    So let me ask everyone.If price WAS NOT an issue which one would you buy and why?
    I kind of need some help rather quick so help me out here if you can and thanks.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    depends on what size fish you think you will catch and how much line do you need. where i fish its rare to catch a 40lb fish, biggest ive caught is a 36 and my 6500 handled it just fine. even after casing 80 yrds i still have plenty of 25lb test line too. i ordered a 7000 but it was too big for my liking and sent it back.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    6500 if you dont need alot of line capacity, I caught my biggest at 50-lbs on a 6500..However I prefer the 7000 just because of the extra line capacity.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think either one would be a good choice, I have both. If you are going to target big fish exclusively then go with the 7000, or if you want a all purpose reel then go with the 6500.
    My biggest fish a 38 lber, was caught with a 6500 mounted on a 8' catmax rod in 5.5 mph current about 200' behind the boat.
    I do seem to be able to get a better cast with the 6500 with lighter weights than 7000. I guess if i could only have one reel, it would be a 6500.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really like the way a 7000 feels. I perfer he 7000, but I will probablyy never "Need" that much. a 6000 pr 6500 would handle anything I'll ever catch.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I recommend the 7000........ ;)

Zakk :)

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Any thing worth doing is worth over doing!!!! go with the 7000 You never know you might need that little extra umph one day.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    No dought the 7000 is a great reel. The 6500 is a better all-round reel. You will find that line capacity is a must for the bank fisherman. When fishing from a boat you won't need that much line. So really it is a toss-up between the two. Depends on the situation you are fishing in.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The 6500's are the better choice for an all around reel.

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    6500for me,I use late 80 model 6000's that have been converted to 6500 spec's,but the 6500 is the best all around reel of the 2 you have to choose from :D

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i like both reels so i just decided that id get both.I went out today and bought the 7000,i already have one but i really liked it and i feel more comfortable knowing i have the extra line capacity.I put it on an american premier nite stick with the red splash and it looks great.Im going to get the 6500C3 in a few weeks,gettin everything i need for the spring so ill be ready to go.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool, sounds like a nice set-up. I wish you many big fish with it.

Zakk :)