Abu 6500C3 doesn't cast well anymore

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Grimpuppy, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    One of my Abu 6500C3 reels started getting noisy when I cast it and it only cast about 1/4 the distance of my other C3's now. All reels were purchased at the same time (2 years old) and used the same amount. I have taken it apart twice since it started doing this and cleaned the heck out of it and oiled it but it does the same thing. It is only noisy when I cast it. It still works flawless in every other way. The noise is not a clicking or grinding noise. It is the same "zing" noise as it normally makes when casting, just 2 or 3 times as loud and only will cast 20 yards with 2 oz of weight. I roll the spool by hand and noting seams loose, there is no play in it and it turns as easy as the others. But if you spin it hard with your fingure it gets noticable louder than the others. I even changed it over to a different rod and it still does it. Any Ideas?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds awful,,, Maybe take it apart, have the spool on the axleshaft between your fingers and spin it, should go for quite awhile,, might be a bearing,,??? Bent axle, warped spool, hard to say...Maybe, in the drivetrain for the levelwind,,,plastic gears might be worn,,,,,

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    in the spool would be my guess. bearing gone bad :eek:oooh:

4. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I just picked up a used 6500c that was in good shape. When I loaded it with line, I found that it had the same problem you have. Cleaned it, re-oiled the bearings, same thing. Had an older set of bearings that I swapped out, it made all the difference in the world. It still a little noisy, but considering the bearings are 20+ years old that I put in there, it told me that I need to break down and get a supply of new ones. There is a link to a supplier on the thread about upgrading from bushings to bearings for the Abu's.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    THats my guess its ether the berings or the spool is worn worn on the ends.

6. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Since you've already taken it apart have you tried cleaning the bearing of all old oil and grease and then re-oiling? Pull the bearings, put em in a small container with a lid like a film container, baby food jar , etc and cover them with lighter fluid. Leave them in there at least 10 minutes, that should be enough time to flush out the old nasty stuff. Maybe swirl it around a few times. Once you think they're cleaned out, take em out, blow dry em out, and put several drops of 3 in 1 oil in them and putem back in the reel. See if that does the trick, if not, replace them. If it fixes it, do the same to your other reels. :wink:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm going to agree with the rest of the bunch and say it's a bearing issue. Definently swap them out or clean them thoroughly and see if it makes the difference. I doubt if its a drag washer issue.

8. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, GP....another place to check would be the idler gear over in the non-crank sideplate. Now and then, this gear wears a little on the post, opens up wider clearances, and protests loudly as it spins on a _dry_ post. Try a drop of thin lube on the gear and post as well.

Check the edges of your spool for anodizing loss....sometimes the frame twists some, and the spool rubs on the sidewall, scuffing off the anodizing, and slowing things down.

But first guess, as the other folks have advised, would be the bearings.
    These things are very reasonable to replace, from all kinds of sources.

Benny in KY, on the eeb, eh? (ebay) breaks down reels almost on a daily basis, and sells the 4 x 10 x 4 brgs for a pretty fair price.

VXB in CA sells them 10 at a time for about 2.50 each.

Stay well. KD

9. Bassman13

Bassman13 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    From the sound of it, I think most everyone is correct on the problem being the bearings. Some of the noise could also be coming from the spacers in the cast control cap being dry. First remove the bearings and soak them in lighter fluid for a few minutes to clean out the grit and dirt. Spin the on the end of a screw drive or something else to make sure they spin free. Let them dry and then add one or two (NO More) drops of oil. I recommend TG'S Yellow Rocket Fuel. More oil than one or two drops will have a negative effect on the bearings and slow them down. Now in the let side plate under the bearing there in a brass spacer. Make sure it is clean and put a very small drop of oil on it. Do the same under the cast control cap on the right side plate. Some of the noise can be from the spool ends rubbing against the dry spacer. I service hundreds of reels each year and see them same problems if they are not serviced properly. I have a few tips for reels on my site www.bassman13reelservice.com that may help. Let me know if you have any questions and if this solves your problem.

Bassman13

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to take mine to a profesional every couple yrs for a really good cleaning/diagnosis
    $25 plus parts usually is not really that bad since i get most of my reels used from folks that get tired of them or pawn shop deals

11. Bassman13

Bassman13 New Member

State:
    Virginia