abu 6500C3 and fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Fishermancat1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Is 50lb mono line too big for a abu garcia 6500 C3 reel? I have this as my setup for a flathead rig (Including a 7 foot medium action Ugly stick tiger rod).

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've gone as far as 40 lbs Mono After that I changed to braid, But I would think you'd be ok. Lets see what others say tho. More experience than me there.​

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    20 to 25lb is as big as I like to go on a 6500. They just do not cast worth a darn with more than that. If you really need much bigger than that it would be worthwhile to go with braid.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I like using 50# Mono, and, use it a lot on my 7000 reels..
    I use up to 30# Mono on the 6500's, ,,
    My personal thought is, that, you can put the heavier line on the 6500 reels, but, you won't get very much of it on ..
    If you typically don't cast very far, it would probably be OK, but, after a few break off's or cutting snags loose, you might have to respool or tie on more line fairly soon..
    but, let us know how it's working for you,,I haven't actually tried it!!:big_smile:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i have used 80lb on mine witch is like weed eater line like Greg said you wont get as much line on wont cast as fare but at same time it wont hurt a thing

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can get plenty of braid on it. I have 200yds of red 65LB PP braid and 20yds of 30LB mono backing :wink: I have reeled in plenty of cats from dinks to 53LBs on my 6500 with only a 8' Berkley Glow stick. Good reel and the casting distance is great from a boat or the bank. You should do great with that Tiger, hopefully its the orange one and not the white one.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I wouldn't recomend going over 30 lb. test mono on an abu 6000 or 6500. If your dead set on using mono and need to run 40 lb. mono or bigger then I would recomend stepping up to an abu 7000 or larger.
    If your set on using the abu 6500 and want to switch to braid, I use 100 lb. power pro on my shamano's and some of my abu 6500s with no problem.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ditto this! The 100# braid has the diameter equivalency of 20# mono.

BB in SC

9. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Wow Bill, you guys use 100# PP on a 6500? :crazy: I thought I was winching in Flatheads with my Penn 309 with 100# PP, I may have to upgrade to 100# on my 6500s, 150# on my other reels and do 200# or 250# on my Penn 309. You guys are freakin Maniacs :smile2:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

We've been told that before :wink::smile2:.

11. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Your sig says it all man, I took my little girl and lady fishing once, me and the lady didnt catch anything, my little girl caught 8 bass on her spider man pole and she reminds me everytime I go fishing lol I can hear her now, you better take my Spiderman pole if you wanna catch something :smile2:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

No such thing as overkill when you,re flattin!:wink:

13. KY KATS

KY KATS New Member

State:
    ky
    On my 6500 I like to use 30lb mono or 80lb braid.

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,, That's what I'm sayin!!!!!!Pat,, Well said there!!:wink::big_smile::smile2:

And, Randall from KY,, Welcome to the BOC!!!!!:big_smile:

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Good advise, I can't agree more from what I know.​

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think 30 lbs is about the max size mono for a 6500 any bigger an you loose to much line capacity

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I spool up my 6000/6500 series reels with 200 yards of 100# Power Pro, backed by a piece of electrical tape on the spool.

Bill in SC

18. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I use 50 lb. Berkley Fireline on mine, it casts a country mile and you pull in some big old snags with it.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Abu 6500 is rated to hold 245 yards of 14lb line. With 50lb mono, you will only get maybe 60-80 yards on the spool. I assume you are looking at 50lb because you are after some big catfish. Chances are they will pull some drag, especially from a 6500... I wonder how much line you will have left on the spool after a good cast? My take is that you need to use a smaller diameter line, or a bigger reel.

"I have 200yds of red 65LB PP braid and 20yds of 30LB mono backing"
    "I spool up my 6000/6500 series reels with 200 yards of 100# Power Pro"

I'm not sure how you guys are measuring the odd lengths of your line, but I can just barely get a 150yd spool of 65lb PowerPro on a 6500 when spooling it on under some tension, in fact I usually end up with about 5 yards left over.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I measure my lengths with a line counter. I usually overfill my reels just a tad from the norm, with no ill effects. I do indeed get 200 yards of 100# PP on my spool. (NO backing except the piece of tape)
    BB in SC