Abu 6500C3 -- 2005 model vs 2006?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr.T, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What is the difference between the 2005 model of the Abu Garcia 6500C3 and the 2006 model? I see that Catfish Connection has some of last year's models on sale for about $15 less than the 2006 model. Is it worth the extra money for the new model?
  2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

South of Dallas
    Marty, do a search on here for them. Abu (BOC Brother) has posted some good info on both. It's the drag system that's changed.
    I got the older models and they work fine. Ya can also upgrade the older model later with the newer parts.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

As I was doing research before I bought my 06 reel.
    there was mention about some reworking of the Carbon matrix Drag system. (suppose to be a considerable improvment from what I heard) If you look through previous posts in fishing reels you probably will be able to find the information that your looking for.
    I will tell you this, I like my 2006 6500C3. (I will probably love it once It gets warm enough to catch fish. Ive fished with it 3 times and its my #1 already)
    If your shopping in a store the way to tell is the coloring on the composit/plastic. 06 are a light gray. 05 are dark gray.
    Also the 05 have sticker/stenceling on the reel edges, I got this tip from a fellow BOC brother. I point this out because one of the Reps at Gander MT was trying to state that his selection was 06 models when they were really 05 models.