Abu 6500C3 -- 2005 model vs 2006?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mr.T, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What is the difference between the 2005 model of the Abu Garcia 6500C3 and the 2006 model? I see that Catfish Connection has some of last year's models on sale for about $15 less than the 2006 model. Is it worth the extra money for the new model?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Marty, do a search on here for them. Abu (BOC Brother) has posted some good info on both. It's the drag system that's changed.
    I got the older models and they work fine. Ya can also upgrade the older model later with the newer parts.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    As I was doing research before I bought my 06 reel.
    there was mention about some reworking of the Carbon matrix Drag system. (suppose to be a considerable improvment from what I heard) If you look through previous posts in fishing reels you probably will be able to find the information that your looking for.
    I will tell you this, I like my 2006 6500C3. (I will probably love it once It gets warm enough to catch fish. Ive fished with it 3 times and its my #1 already)
    If your shopping in a store the way to tell is the coloring on the composit/plastic. 06 are a light gray. 05 are dark gray.
    Also the 05 have sticker/stenceling on the reel edges, I got this tip from a fellow BOC brother. I point this out because one of the Reps at Gander MT was trying to state that his selection was 06 models when they were really 05 models.